Restylane inserted under Radiesse - do you agree this is what you would do? (Photo)

My plastic surgeon inserted Radiesse under both eyes in June 2015. A huge lump formed under the right eye only. One month later, the surgeon inserted Restylane in the area around the lump in an effort to camouflage it. I was left with a very swollen eye. I'm so upset!

Radiesse

Allow two weeks after the Restylane injection to evaluate the situation. If you feel that the Restylane did not address the issue of the Radiesse nodule, and that you look worse than before, speak to your PS.  He may be able to reverse the Restylane with an enzyme called hyaluronidase.  Unfortunately there is no enzyme at the present time to reverse Radiesse- you will have to wait a bit for it to dissolve over several months.  Be well.

Radiesse eyes

Thank you for your question.  When tear trough fold injections first came into vogue, it was originally thought Radiesse would be a good filler for this location due to its ability to act like bone and be placed deep right on the orbital rim to restore volume loss around the eyes.  After some time and experience with this technique I think most Dermatologists and Plastic Surgeons have come to the conclusion that HA fillers like Restylane are better for this area since it is an extremely delicate area that may necessitate sculpting and dissolving.  

It appears in your situation the PS was trying to camouflage the lump that formed after Radiesse, since Radiese cannot be dissolved, by injecting HA filler more superficially to smooth out the appearance of the lump.  Unfortunately this treatment approach has not been successful for you.  The good news is the Radiesse will resorb over time, however there may be some other options.

I suggest you follow up with your PS to discuss what further steps may be taken including dissolution of the HA with hyaluronidase and possible extraction of the nodule by the surgeon.  Many years ago there was some thought that saline injections may improve Radiesse nodules, so  you may want to discuss that with your PS as well.  Good luck!  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Using Various Injectables

Radiesse is thicker and more dense than most of the HA fillers and so it is best used in deeper folds such as the nasolabial folds. Most side effects of treatment resolve within a few days and, like HA fillers, many patients return to work and play immediately after treatment. Radiesse immediately provides the volume and lift needed to diminish the signs of aging because of the calcium-based microspheres and gel that comprise the product. It seems Restylane was utilized to address the superficial part of your skin after Radiesse treated the deeper folds where the skin is also thicker.

Feel free to schedule a follow-up appointment with your board certified facial plastic surgeon to address your concerns. I suggest you remain patient and follow your surgeon's recovery regimen with the understanding that most injectable patients are unhappy with the initial results and then become very satisfied once the injectables have taken effect.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tough situation

I prefer to use restylane around the eyes and not radiesse.  Radiesse can not be dissolved, but the restylane can. Best of luck.