It's been five months I had tip rhinoplasty done; My nostrils are very uneven. Should I be concerned? (Photos)

Its been five months I had rhinoplasty, I had tip work done. I am concerned because my nostrils are very uneven as before they where not. Should I be concerned or is there a chance they will even out with time?

5 months post-op rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  During the early stages of rhinoplasty recovery you will have swelling and asymmetries.  It is usually 6 months before the nose is completely healed.  It is important to be patient during the early healing phase. Best of luck! 

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Recovery

You are still early in your recovery period and the nose is expected to be quite swollen at this point.The swelling during this time is rarely symmetric. One side will always resolve more quickly than the other. The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years. You have not reached your final shape as the nose will continue to heal and reduce in size for up to a year. Once it does reach its final shape you may be more pleased with the appearance of your nose.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Uneven nostrils after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.  It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. Your nose is still healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. You probably still have some swelling which can cause the appearance of unevenness. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. If after 12-18 months, you are still unhappy with your results, I would contact your surgeon or another board certified plastic surgeon for a revision.
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tip rhinoplasty and nostrils

It is hard to tell from your photos and other views could be helpful. You will stay swollen for a year and sometimes longer. 

It's been five months I had tip rhinoplasty done; My nostrils are very uneven. Should I be concerned?

Without a full set of before and after photos- it's difficult to comment accurately. Also, would be helpful to have an idea of your expectations. There is definitely nostril asymmetry present which can e improved with certain techniques.