Kenalog and Vitrase to minimize the Radiesse. Is this effective?

I had Radiesse injected under my eyes in June 2015. To date, one eye is bulging. A week ago, a dermatologist injected Kenalog and Vitrase to minimize the Radiesse. Is this affective?

Radiesse and eye treatment

Radiesse is generally not recommended for treatment around the eyes but some do use it there.   Vitrase has effecton the HA fillers but not Radiesse.   Kenalog can reduce inflammation around the area but cannot get rid of Radiesse.    Kenalog must be used very cautiously because it can cause fat to atrophy.   My Best,  Dr Commons

Kenalog and Vitrase to minimize Radiesse

Dear Asharpdj,

Vitrase works on hyaluronic acid fillers.  Radiesse is NOT one. 
Kenalog is an anti-inflammatory that can reduce inflammation from any trauma, including the trauma and associated swelling from an injection of filler.  It will not likely reduce excess Radiesse from over injection. In general, Radiesse is not used for the under eye area.  Was the injection in your cheeks?  See below for the difference between types of filler and their uses:

Dr. Michelle Yagoda

Michelle R. Yagoda, MD

Hi, sadly not effective IMHO.  Radiesse is not an HA filler and isn't able to be dissolved by any method.  The kenalog can dissolve your own fat and should be used with caution.  Only time will make the Radiesse go away.  Radiesse, Perlane and the other thicker fillers are too thick for the thin skinned lower eyelid area IMHO.  This area should be reserved for Juvederm, Restylane or Restylane Silk.  

Radiesse question.

Thank you for your question. Kenalog, a steroid, is helpful if there is inflammation contributing to the bulging. Vitrase dissolve hyaluronic acids like Juvederm and would have no effect on you Radiesse. Good luck.

Kenalog can be used to help reduce over filled areas that are due to inflammatory reactions from a variety of injectable products.  Vitrase is used to help reduce over filled areas that were treated with hyaluronic acid fillers, such as Restylane, Juvederm or Voluma.  I do not believe that Vitrase would be effective in reducing areas treated with Radiesse.  Kenalog could potentially help if there is any inflammatory component to the bulging area that you have.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon