I was told I'd see Botox results after one week but the lines are still there?

I had botox inserted in my forehead on March 15, 2016 and was told that it will take one week to see results. I waited one week and the lines were still there. I was charged $630 (which I think was ridiculously expensive). I live in New York but still find that price very inflated!! On March 22, 2016, I called the office and complained that there was no improvement in my forehead and was told to come in but I would have to pay again! I am quite upset because I'm out $630!!!

The effect of Botox depends upon the injection technique as well as the total dosage. It's difficult to tell if there was some improvement or no improvement at all from your description. Some expression lines are toodeep to be completely eliminated with Botox. In your case it may be  more a failure of accurate counseling as to the expected outcome rather  than a failure of the Botox to work.

Botox results

Thank you for your question Amelia Z. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression such as those on the forehead seen when one raises the brows. The pivotal studies demonstrated that the peak effect of Botox is seen 14 days after the treatment. In our office we have patients return two weeks after their treatment to take after photographs and assess their results. At that point additional units may be used if necessary. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox – What to expect

Thanks for your question. This is a question that we get asked often by our patients.  As far as Botox treatments, muscle hyperactivity would likely require treatment 3 times a year.  Botox effects can last anywhere from 4-6 months and with recurrent treatments, this will lead to mild atrophy of the muscle, and some prolongation of Botox's effects.  Botox effects are never permanent, however, if you elected to stop, your muscle would hypertrophy back to its original size. These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced cosmetic dermatologist consultation for recommendations and treatment options.   Results are expected to start in 2-10 days and peak within 14 days after injection. In some patients, it may take up to 30 days to reach full results. On average, results will last for 4-6 months.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Botox for forehead lines

Botox can take up to 2 weeks for maximum effect to be seen.  Sometimes patients need additional Botox if the lines are deep.  Botox only works to relax dynamic lines, not the lines you have at rest.  It is best to follow up with your doctor.  Good luck!

Jennifer Trent, MD, FAAD
Sarasota Dermatologic Surgeon

I was told I would see Botox results after 1 week but the lines are still there?

Thank you for your question. In general, an injection of neurotoxin takes 1 week to take full effect. Depending on the severity of your lines, it could take more than 1 injection treatment of neurotoxin for the lines to soften. The neurotoxin interacts with the muscle and therefore over time softens creases. Best to follow up with your doctor for a full explanation of your treatment. Good luck.

Forehead lines remain after Botox

If the lines are etched in lines, meaning they are present even when the skin is stretched, then Botox won't make them better. These are a form of a scar and will get better only with multiple treatments with Botox or getting other therapies. These other therapies are laser resurfacing, Infini, or filler. If the lines are from forehead mobility, then you need to discuss with your doctor and ask for a touch up. I think they probably are etched in lines and you weren't properly counselled on them prior to treatment.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Dear asharpdj,

Thank you for your question. If the lines on your forehead were deep, there will most likely still be lines. Botox will help to soften these lines over time with multiple treatments but may not eliminate them completely. Maximum results are usually seen in 14 days. I wish you the best of luck.

Botox takes 14 days for maximal onset, so you should wait one week. Likely, there will still be lines - though softer. If you feel you were under-dosed you should speak with the person that injected you. 

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

When do I see final results following a Botox injection?

Botox takes 14 days to see maximum results.  At that time, if you still see no change then you should return to your injector to discuss your concerns.  Some practices charge for Botox per unit and other per area.  If you are charged per unit, then any additional injections or a touch up you will have to pay for.  Typically when you are charged per area, having a touch up is already built in to the original cost.  Regarding the lines you mentioned on the forehead.  If they are deep you will require multiple treatments to try to eliminate them.  Be sure to discuss what results should be expected following an injection of Botox with the person doing the injections.   

Elena Vega, DO
New York General Surgeon

Botox and lines

First, botox does not eliminate all lines. It can soften some, and this may take several treatments. Deep etched lines will not go away completely.  Botox also only lasts 3-4 months.