Alternative to Botox for forehead?

I've tried Botox a few times and don't like the fact that it only lasts a couple of months. Is there another procedure that would last longer? Thank you!

Botox duration

Thank you for your question Amelia Z. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression such as the vertical lines seen between the brows when one frowns. Most people enjoy the result of Botox for 3-4 months. Unfortunately there is not a treatment available at this time that provides more longevity for such wrinkles. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Thank you for your question in regards to Botox.
Botox should last you 3-4 months. Additional units may need to be added if you are not lasting that long. Depending on what your exact concerns are with your forehead there are different treatments that are available that may be suitable with your desired results. An in person consultation would be best for you. To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Alternatives to Botox

If you don’t have lasting results, it may be because you’re not getting enough product. Or, it may be because you have a resistance to the product (but that’s pretty rare).  Xeomin, the newest neuromodulator, may be more effective in some patients who don’t respond well to BOTOX, but it may also be the injection technique and the amount of product being injected. And, some patients just respond less well to BOTOX overtime. Your options are changing the dose, finding a different injector, switching to Dysport or Xeomin, trying filler instead (sometimes using filler along with BOTOX can make results last longer), or surgery.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox should last approx 4 months.  There are other neurotoxins such as Dysport and Xeomin.  I do not believe that they will last longer.  You may try having the injector use a different pattern, use more units, or switch injectors and assess.  Be well-

Estee Williams, MD

You must have very dynamic muscles

Most people get at least 3 months with neuromodulators. Discuss the dosage with your doctor. Often, patients have heavy lids and need to lift their eyebrows to see. If Botox is done aggressively in these patients, it will drop the brows and that can look worse than the lines. I would suggest a second opinion and more options of filler, vs Ultherapy, vs surgery.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Botox vs other treatment

Botox relaxes muscles temporarily (2-5 months, average 3 months). It is not clear from your post where on your face you are receiving botox. For certain parts of the face, there are more permanent solutions then botox. For example, if you are using botox to lift the brows, then a surgical browlift is ideal, safe, and maintenance-free procedure.

I would consult a facial plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Best of luck from Manhattan.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

The Effects Of Botox When Combined With Fillers Last Significantly Longer Than When Used Alone

The medical literature supports my personal experience (and I have been injecting patients for aesthetic reasons with Botox since 1991 and with fillers for over three decades) that the use of Botox combined with the injection of a filler, such as Belotero Balance for the worry lines across the forehead (as well as for frown lines between the eyes,and crow's feet lines on the sides of the eyes) yields considerably longer-lasting benefits than when either is injected alone. Botox (and Dysport and Xeomin) typically last about three to six months. Fillers, like Belotero and Restylane Silk about six to eight months. However, the effects of the combo treatment usually last for about a year. 

It would be worthwhile discussing this with your physician and it is best to seek consultation and treatment with a board certified aesthetic physician with experience and expertise in the use of injectable fillers and wrinkle relaxers. Of course, ask to see his/her before and after photos. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Botox, Dysport and Xeomin in Williamsville, NY

All of the neurotoxins/neuromodulators last 3 months.

I have seen patients in whom it last 6-9 months, but this is very rare.

Dr Karamanoukian

Alternative to Botox for forehead?

Hello Asharpdj,

All three neuromodulators (Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin) will last about 3 months.  There is no other procedure that would offer the same sort of results that you get with neuromodulators by immobilizing the muscles of the forehead. 

I hope that helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brow lift

If you do not want to use botox or similar products, then perhaps a brow lift is what you need?  Best to be evaluated in person.