Is fat removal surgery right for me?

My thyroid has been inactive for about 5 years now. I'm just getting my life back on track. I have a heart valve leak although it poses no threat at this time. I'm very active and constantly struggle to keep up my strength. I stay weak and fatigue my heart doc says having the fat removed would be the best for me to prevent further health problems. Just curious if this is the best thing for me?

Liposuction

Liposuction is not a weight loss treatment, but is removal of specific areas of excess fat. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing your realistic options.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Fat Removal Surgery

Hi srht,
A good candidate for tumescent liposuction with local anesthesia is one who is in good health. Prior to any procedure you will need a cardiology clearance. I advise seeking an experience board certified liposuction surgeon. All the best with your procedure.

Jeffrey A. Klein, MD
San Juan Capistrano Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat removal surgery

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• There are two kinds of fat removal surgery -
  • One is liposuction that removes no more than 10 pounds, from specific areas.
  • This would not be a good choice if you are significantly overweight.
  • The other surgery is gastric bypass surgery which can lead to a loss of 100 pounds or more.
  • This sounds lke what your heart doctor has in mind.
  • Look for bariatric surgeons on your insurance panel and arrange a consultation.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS