C-section. What can I do for this extra skin?

I had two kids, the last 6, Both was c-section. On the last c-section, the doctor pulled my skin back further than I remember the first time. After having my laat son over 3 years ago I have lost weight several time and rwcently lost over 20 pounds, but that area seems it still has not gone anywhere. No matter if i gain or lose, its still there. I exercise daily but I have that extra down there and it bulge out of my pants. What do I do?

Tummy tuck

Excess skin and fat in the lower abdomen, after multiple C-sections, that is resistant to diet and exercise, can often be successfully treated with a tummy tuck. See a board certified plastic surgeon for an examination to determine if the operation could help you. Good luck!

Middletown Plastic Surgeon

#ASPS #Abdominoplasty #tummytuck

Hello Mrs lurae, thank you for your excellent question. I highly recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options and formulate a surgical plan that is tailored specifically to your health and needs. When setting up an in-person consult with a plastic surgeon look for someone who has at least one of these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol  *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol  *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle.    Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person. My very best to you, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS   CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question.  Specific/meaningful advice would necessitate an in person evaluation;  complete history/ physical examination/discussion of goals/expectations will be necessary. Having said that, based on your description, it is likely that you will be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery. 

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.   You may find the attached link and video, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes. 

If it is just an "extra skin" issue, then it will have to be surgically removed with some sort of tummy tuck. Skin is not going to tighten up with exercise once it has lost its elasticity. best suggestion would be to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options for the best result. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

C-section issue

I would have to see photos at the minimum to see what might be appropriate. Sounds like you might  need a scar revision.

Tummy Tuck After C-section

Thank you for your question. After having kids, especially with a c-section, you can get excess skin that hangs over the c-section scar like a shelf. A tummy tuck may be the answer to give you the results you want. With a tummy tuck, liposuction can be used to remove excess pockets of fat. Also the tummy muscles can be repositioned to make the abdomen smaller, and excess skin can be removed as well.

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your description, you may be a candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  The belly button can be designed to look natural and have no scars on the exterior.   Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this  or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Loose Skin- Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. thought it's difficult to give exact recommendations without photos or an in person consultation, generally speaking, a tummy tuck is your best option to remove this loose skin. Unfortunately, loose skin does not respond to diet or exercise. I recommend undergoing a lateral tension abdominoplasty which will tighten the muscles and remove excess skin. This is a special kind of tummy tuck that I perform. Make sure you work with a board certified plastic surgeon for precise recommendations.  

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

Without seeing pictures or examining you in person, it is hard to give you the best advice but based off of your description and pregnancy history it seems as though you would benefit from a tummy tuck to remove that excess skin and tighten the abdominal wall. When I perform a tummy tuck, I tighten the diastasis rectus muscle which brings in the waist. My advice would be to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so they can perform a physical examination and review of your medical history to determine if you are a good candidate for tummy tuck. I hope this helps!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon