Can I take a pain tablet prior to Radiesse injection, without dire effects? Like an 400 mil mouthing tab!

Pain Tablet Prior to Radiesse Injections

You may consume a Tylenol or Extra Strength Tylenol before your Radiesse injection.  We do not recommend consuming Motrin, Advil, Alleve, or Aspirin (blood thinning medications).  These medications can make you bleed more and increase your chances of bruising and swelling.  It is probably best to consult with the practitioner performing your injections for their advice on medications you can consume before injections.  Best of luck!

Livingston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Managing pain during dermal filler injections

I would suggest avoiding pain medications prior to having dermal filler injections.  Your physician should be able to provide you with pain control with the use of a variety of interventions to include: topical anesthetic agents applied an hour prior to injection, topical ice, and injectional lidocaine blocks.  In my experience, patients are generally more anxious about the possibility of pain then they are of the actual pain itself.  I would suggest discussing this with your injector and having them provide you with a medication to relax you prior to your injections.  It works wonderfully but you will need a ride home. 

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain medicine before Radiesse

Thank you for asking about your Radiesse.
  • I would not take Motrin or any other medicine except Tylenol - almost all others will make you more likely to bruise and bleeding.
  • If you are extremely anxious, ask your doctor to prescribe a few anti-anxiety pills.Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Radiesse Injection and Pain -- Seek an Expert

During the treatment your injector will likely use a topical numbing agent allowing the procedure to be just uncomfortable, not severely painful. If you feel that you need pain medication as well, this would be something to discuss prior to treatment with your physician. Best, Dr. Emer

Pain tablet prior to Radiesse injection

While some physicians would not mind you taking a pain tablet prior to a Radiesse injection, you should discuss this with your particular physician prior to your treatment.  There are some techniques that can be used to reduce pain from an injection and your physician may be doing this already.  There are also many different types of pain medications, so it would be important for your physician to approve of whatever medication you might be taking prior to your procedure.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon