Is this bad or negligent surgery, and can it be corrected please? How would you go about it? (Photo)

Face and necklift done Nov 2012, with fat grafts placed along my lower cheek/jaw which was not what was asked for. Left me with a double chin appearance and I am slim lady. The fat face and double chin is most uncomfortable. There is tightness under my chin so can't extend neck backwards. Small pixie ear with scar on my face also due to the tension. Surgeon was UK BAAPS and a reputable hospital. Have waited as advised but no improvement. Desperate to get this fat out to loosen some skin.

Virgin platysma bands

I recommend you seek the services of a well experienced facelift surgeon who deals with difficult necks; from what I see the platysma muscle was not properly addressed.

I'd also say the cutaneous adjustement was not brilliant, all that needs revision.

Regarding fat grafting I think this is not the cause of your deformities, since they normally disappear in the vast majority of cases and in 80% of its amount around 1 year after being inserted, therefore I'd blame the technique and the design of the skin undermining/resection.

Spain Plastic Surgeon

Unanticipated outcomes after a facelift

Several of your concerns can likely be improved especially since you are two years out from your original surgery. That being said, what you have experienced can sometimes happen including pixie ears and pockets of fat. This may require some additional surgery to improve those areas. However, all surgeons have experienced less than perfect or ideal outcomes. It may be more cost effective for you to address your concerns with your treating surgeon and see if he/she is willing to address them with you. Otherwise, I would recommend seeing a board certified facial plastic surgeon in your area whose predominant practice is addressing concerns of the aging face.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with facelift

your neck problem seems to be banding of neck muscle
this can be fixed with repeat surgery
you ear lobe tethering is problematic and can be improved
seek out a reputable durgeon

David J. Goodkind, MD
New Haven Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with face lift and fat grafting

Plastic surgery is an art and science.  No result can be promised.  That being said, at this stage, you do have options for improvement.  Although your photos are limited, you do appear to have skin laxity of the neck which may be improved by repeating the neck lift.  Fatty tissue deposits in the neck or along may be able to be removed at that time as well.  You should consult with an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and options.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with face lift result

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

I am sorry you are so disappointed with your result.
  1. I do not see evidence of bad or negligent surgery.
  2. I do see a disappointing result.
  3. I have seen a number of very thin women who have been unhappy with the result of fat grafts - even if it softens the face, it can make the face not look like oneself.
  4. A face lift revision is likely to give you a lot of improvement in both the scar and the loose neck muscle.
  5. If there is fat under the chin from fat grafts, this can be removed or reduced at the time of surgery.
  6. The fat may not be the cause of the tightness you feel - it would need an examination to suggest whether the tightness is from the scars in the skin or possibly deeper.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Revision facelift

Revision facelift
Performing revision facelift requires significant experience and talents. The typical maneuvers and techniques used in primary facelift might not work as well in revision surgeries. Judging on your limited photos you could definitely benefit from revision facelift. Of course only in person evaluation can give you specific recommendations. Seek out a reputable facelift experts for surgical correction of your face.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Revision

Without a preoperative exam and photos it would be hard to comment on whether your surgery was "botched" . However, there are many features from your photos that can be improved. My recommendation is that he seek a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in secondary revision surgery. See below link for  suggestions on how to find the best plastic surgeon for your concerns..

Facelift

Thank you for the photos and questions and based on those photos without an examination I feel your result can be dramatically improved so go on some consults

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Facelift Results

Your facelift result is certainly not botched surgery. There are some issues with the result as you have mentioned and they are very improveable such as the pixie ears and the double chin. At two years after the initial surgery, your skin should have enough relaxation to make these changes.

Properly executed facelift should avoid tension on the skin.

The problems I see can be related to too much tension on the skin. This not only leads to the sensation of tightness but creates the pixie ear and the unattractive bands. I think a revision of the face of will be necessary for resolution of these aesthetic issues. It is certainly not however negligent surgery.