Am I a candidate for cheek implants or not ? (photos)

I am 53 and my face has started to sag, I have had sculptra and that has helped and I will have a top up vile this year as it's been 12 months. I always admire ladies with nice cheek bones and some people say that they can have a lifting effect on the face. Would they suite me ? Can a surgeon adjust a photo to show how one might look ? Any sujestions ? Thank you for your time

Am I a candidate for cheek implants or not ?

Hi, I have performed cheek augmentations and facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is a small amount of excess fat in front of the cheeks and jowls are present.  These factors combine to create a rectangular shaped face. 

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  I would combine a small amount of liposuction (micro-liao) to reduce the fat in front of the cheeks to allow the front contour of the cheek implant to show through.  I call this the "focal point" of the female cheek.

"Jowls” are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.  Cheek augmentation, as described above, will feminize the entire face with or without the minimally invasive SMAS facelift however the facelift would in addition be able to remove excess skin from the lower face and neck.  The "best" aesthetic result, as mentioned above, is always to shape the face when performing a facelift.

Hope this helps.

Cheek Implants

You would be a good candidate for cheek augmentation by implants. Have computer imaging done to see what style of cheek implant and size may look the best to you.

Chin/Cheek Augmentation -- Fillers such as Radiesse, Voluma, Perlane/Fat/Implant

Fillers, implants, sculptra all do well for augmentation of the cheek.  Please see an expert to determine what you are a best candidate for. Dr. Emer.

Am I a Candidate for Cheek Implants?

Implants could give you permanent improvement in your cheek projection and definition as well as facial proportions. I've seen many patients like you who inherited less than ideal cheek contour that became more problematic when they experienced sagging and loss of volume as part of the aging process.

Cheek implant candidate

A full set of facial photographs are required due to the fact that the cheeks, and the cheek implants are both three-dimensional structures. Cheek implants are composed of Silastic, and are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined at the time of the consultation and examination. Cheek implants are placed for patients who have a flat maxilla and a flat cheek profile. The implants are placed through an intraoral approach on a brief general anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. For more information and many examples,  please see the link  and the video below

Am I a candidate for cheek implants?

Adding volume to your cheek region will help enhance your appearance. There three options. Implants which last forever but can have their edges become visible as the skin over them thins with time. This option has the greatest risk of complications. Synthetic fillers which must be redone every six months to three years depending on the agent used. Over time this becomes the costliest option. Fat transfer which lasts for years often decades but has more initial swelling than synthetic fillers. 

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek implants or fillers for sagging midface?

Cheek implants or fillers for sagging midface?  having done both for more than 35 years I can tell you that each has its advantages. The problem with fillers is that though they are quick easy and immediate they are costly overtime. Cheek I'm plants are permanent and give a natural result if properly done by a skilled, experienced surgeon who produces natural results. They are much cheaper than fillers over time. 

Cheeks and aging

making 50's magical, all you need is a good deep plane lift of your midface and you will get your cheek bones back that you had in your 20-30's. You just need to find the right surgeon. Watch the video and you will learn what to ask for when you visit surgeons. Look at their photos and see how their patients midface turns out after surgery. Be diligent and you will be fine; good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek implants, or something else........

Thanks for the photo. It's very helpful. Full disclosure, I don't put in cheek implants and I'm not a fan of them. I can almost always tell when someone seeking my help has had cheek implants. They often look unnatural. Besides Sculptra (which I love) there are great fillers, such as Juvéderm Voluma and Restylane Lyft that can beautifully shape the midface and cheek. Injectables require some maintenance, but in the hands of the right physician can make you look youthful and natural. Consider rejuvenating your temples. By the way, filler in the temples will take years off your appearance, and help to give your face better balance.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon