Having a double mastectomy, worried implants could be infected with staph after having it in my portcaths. Is this possible?

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in June 2016. I have had 2 portacaths put in and removed both because of staph infections. Both were in for the same length of time (a week and a half). I've had 2 pic lines put in (after each portacath was removed) but they have not become infected. I'm looking at having a double mastectomy in January 2017 but am worried that the implants will be come infected with staph also. Is it possible the implants can become infected with staph also?

Infection and implants

This is something that you need to review with your surgeon and an infectious disease doctor. Best of luck.

Infection and implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Implant infections

Thank you for your question. I would share your same concerns. It is very unusual to see port infection let alone 2 in one patient. 7-10 days out is the usual time for a operative wound infection so that is not to unusual. I would ask your surgeon about their thought on why you got a port infection and ways to minimize that risk in the future. Good luck keep in mind this to will pass and bright days are yours. 

John S Mancoll,MD 

Implant infections

John S Mancoll,MD