Nipple discharge post surgery. Is this residual blood from the hematoma?

I had surgery 2 weeks ago and had to go back into surgery for a hematoma. I noticed today when I squeeze my nipple I have brown discharge from that nipple. No other symptoms. Is this residual blood from the hematoma?

Nipple Discharge

Thank you for the question. Your explanation could be accurate. If you have ongoing concerns I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon to examine you in order to rule out any problems.
Al the best

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Nipple discharge

Hello and thank you for your question.

What I can tell from the description you provided, I would agree with you that this discharge is most likely left over blood from the hematoma that is working its way out of the body. If this behavior stops very soon and there are no other symptoms, I would not be worried. On the other hand it is never a bad idea to go and be examined by your own plastic surgeon so that he/she can closely see whats going on and give you the green light not to be nervous about your recovery. I wish you the best of luck.

Traci Temmen, MD 

Traci Temmen, MD