Would a neck lift be the best option? (Photos)

I'm 31 year old female . In good health . I'm concerned about appearance on my neck . I have been recommend by a top Sydney plastic surgeon to have a neck lift and some minor liposuction to the area . I have previously had liposuction to the area 5 years ago with another Dr & also the "Botox neck lift " another time - to no avail . Would neck lift now be my best option? Again I'm 31 but this neck trait runs in my family ..

neck lift candidate

In our practice, a neck lift accomplishes removal of fatty deposits in the neck along with tightening the platysma muscle, known as a platysma plasty. Skin removal is not required. When patients have loose and inelastic skin in the neck, a lower face AND neck lift is required. For more information and many examples of both procedures, please see the link and the video below

Is a Neck Lift My Best Option?

Based solely on these pictures I feel a neck lift is your best option at this time despite the fact you're a relatively young lady. With your strong family history it is likely this unwanted characteristic will progress faster than others your age. Consult with a surgeon who specializes in facial rejuvenation.

Platysmal procedure

Based on your photos, you definitely need more than liposuction to address your neck.You may have fat under the platysma and may need direct tightening of the platysma.A physical examination is needed to determine the position of your salivary glands.  Its best toseek consultation from a board certified specialist whose practice is focused on the face.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift

Based on what you are describing I think a short scar neck lift (scar only under chin) would be a reasonable option to consider.  However such an approach needs to focus on the deep layer of the neck below the platysma muscle while preserving all the remaining fat on top of the platysma muscle below the skin that has already been treated with liposuction.  Removing any more of this fat layer will likely make the neck look worse.  However focusing on the deeper layer which consist of a deep fat pocket, large salivary glands, and bulky digastric muscles can make a significant improvement without any skin removal which is usually not necessary in the 30's.  I often perform this type of neck lift for young patients with great results.

Dino R. Elyassnia, MD

Would a neck lift be the best option?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  To get an opinion of value you would really need a face-to-face examination to determine whether you have subplatysmal fat that needs direct excision through a chin incision or a necklift.  Admittedly 31 is pretty young to undergo a necklift but this may be the best answer for you. Please meet with several ABPS board-certified or ENT/facial plastic surgeons to assist you in making your best choice. Good luck and best wishes.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Neck surgery

Sissie 1900, You have heard this before but again I'm going to have to say that accurately answering this question requires an exam. You may require a neck lift and then again perhaps a medial platysmaplasty would be enough and then there's your chin; cannot assess that based on these photos. The important point is that you see a specialist that is familiar with evaluating your submandibular gland, platysmal attachments, degree of sub platysmal fat and 3D relationships. See a surgical specialist that is board certified and does "only faces". Look for good photos. See the movie. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a necklift.  You are young, but I have performed this procedure in patients your age with very similar stories of unsuccessful other forms of treatment.  Using good technique, a necklift can greatly improve neck contour with minimal visible scarring.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Neck lift option

It does seem that the source of your neck fullness resides in the  tissues underneath your platysma muscle. Exploration ,during a neck lift,  of  this area  may allow for thinning down of the fat layer that is not accessible to liposuction alone.  This area has more complex anatomy and important nerves that need to be treated gently. You should be in good hands with  an experienced  board certified plastic surgeon  who performs frequent neck lifts.
Best regards, Prashant Soni M.D.

Prashant Soni, MD
Danbury Plastic Surgeon

Neck contouring in young age

Patients with family trait of neck deformity frequently have problem with insertion and distribution of neck muscles and deep fat compartments of the neck. Surgical exploration and correction of deformity by means of neck lift using anterior neck approach (small incision underneath the chin) is usually the only way to address this problem. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. A neck lift and minor liposuction are great companions to a successful necklift. In fact the laser assisted weekend necklift leverages liposculpture, neck lifting and laser resurfacing to create an outpatient, same-day surgery with a smooth recovery and a natural looking result. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon