Would laser resurfacing treatment help with my mild acne scarring and hyperpigmentation? (Photo)

I have never had severe acne, but I always have 2 or three on my face which are always deep, cystic pimples that won't go away until picks unfortunately as they are deep. Once I do, I get a mild scar. Considering I have had this issue since I was 13, my scarring and skin isn't too bad, but I just want to have s fresh faced appearance for once in my life since I Was 12! I'm only 24 and I find that my skin makes me look dull and aged. Would laser resurfacing help the situation? thanks

Consider Halo Hybrid Laser Treatment

Thank you for including photos along with your question. In my opinion, I believe laser resurfacing is an ideal option for getting the results you want. It improves the skin's tone and texture — and when performed by an experienced laser provider, it can reduce the appearance of acne scars. The Halo hybrid fractional laser is what I use for treating acne scars. I appreciate its versatility, because it offers both ablative and non-ablative wavelengths in a single handpiece. I can customize treatments to address specific skin conditions and get excellent results, without the downtime you'd normally expect from ablative laser skin resurfacing

Burlington Plastic Surgeon

Microneedling safer

Microneedling is safer. In light of the tendency toward hyperpigmentation. It can be repeated a few weeks apart if desired and there is temporary redness only. There is essentially no risk. 

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Would laser resurfacing treatment help with my mild acne scarring and hyperpigmentation?

Laser resurfacing would be reasonable based upon the pictures and your description.

Beverly Hills, CA

Laser Resurfacing Benefits

Thank you for your question, sarah10414. Yes, laser skin resurfacing can treat acne scarring as well as uneven skin pigmentation. I suggest you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to ensure you receive the highest quality knowledge, skill, care and treatment available.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing can be beneficial for acne scarring

Laser resurfacing can be very beneficial for acne scarring. To get the best advice on exactly which type of resurfacing procedure would benefit you the most, it would be best to see a board certified specialist in cosmetic procedures for their live consultation. There are many different options for treatment and acne scarring can sometimes be slow to respond. Thanks for sharing your pics and good luck!

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Laser resurfacing

Looking at your pictures, I would think you would do very well with a fractionated laser resurfacing. It will likely take several treatments, you will heal quickly from them. You may also need a small amount of filler under a few of the deeper scars. I think this combination treatment could give you a great result!

Good luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Will laser skin resurfacing help?

Based on the pictures that you provided, yes you are a good candidate for laser skin resurfacing. It's always best to be seen by a board certified plastic surgeon/dermatologist for evaluation. Also, keep in mind that prior to a procedure of this nature having your acne under control is important in order to maintain your results.

Thank you for your question and for sharing your pictures!

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS

Laser skin resurfacing and PRP with Microneedling for Acne Scars and Uneven Pigmentation

Thank you for sharing your question and photos. You would probably gain significant improvement in your skin texture, scars and pigmentation with a combination approach. Erbium laser skin resurfacing and PRP with microneedling works very well together. See an experienced facial surgeon for comprehensive evaluation and detailed discussion of treatment options. Good luck!

Laser Skin resufacing for Acne scars and hyperpigmentation

Scars can be improved with laser skin resurfacing and fraxel like treatments but the heat from these lasers my result in more pigmentation issues.

To improve skin, there need to be slight injury that the body responds to by building more new collagen.
This is how these procedures work...injury and then repair.

I would suggest a series of deep Micropen treatments over time could help build collagen in this area without much problem with stimulating hyperpigmenation.

For more shallow scars, fillers can be used. For ice-pick scars excision can be used.

I hope this was helpful.

Adam Scheiner, MD
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

You need a cosmetic dermatologist who specializes in acne scarring/pigmentation and does a combination of treatments including: surgery, subcision, or TCA cross for deep or pitted "ice pick" scars; fillers like Bellafill or Sculptra or Radiesse for broad "boxcar" or "rolling" scars; Eclipse Micropen for all types of scars and improvement in texture and tone; lasers such as co2 laser resurfacing or Fraxel/Clear+Brilliant or radiofrequency such as Venus Viva to improve the scars and give long term collagen production. There are many options but you want someone who can customize a regimen for your short and long term goals based on your individual situation. Best, Dr. Emer.