I am planning to have a breast lift and implants, just like to know if a future pregnancy will give me complications?

I am planning to have a breast lift and implants as after having three children my breast have stretched quite a bit and want them lifted, just like to know if a future pregnancy will give me any complications? I plan to have child not now but in about 2 years and I am concerned if it will give me trouble, as in my last 3 pregnancies I have suffered from engorgement which begins on the third day. I was thinking that I will need to cut my milk supply if this happens as this was recommended to me.

Breast lift surgery and pregnancy

You have asked a very common and important question.  Unfortunately there is no way of knowing in advance how your breasts will respond to pregnancy and breast feeding.  Breast lift surgery with implants will not affect your ability to have more children although you may not be able to breastfeed.  You may be unhappy with the size and shape of your breasts after pregnancy and wish to have revision surgery down the track.  Other women who have had breast surgery remain happy with their breasts after pregnancy.  The decision to have surgery now or wait until you have finished having your family is really up to you.  Some woman are happy to have surgery and enjoy the benefits while knowing that revision surgery is a possibility in the future.  Others prefer to wait and have surgery once they have finished having a family.  If you are planning to have another child in 2 years time, my advice would be to postpone any breast surgery till after you have completed your family.  Arrange a consultation with a fully qualified plastic surgeon so you can discuss the pros and cons.

Breast lift with implants before pregnancy?

Thank you for your question.  Breast implants do not have any affect on pregnancy and if done by a skilled plastic surgeon to not cause changes to breast feeding capabilities although a breast lift most probably will. I´d suggest you wait untill you´re done having babies to have breast surgery. Best is to have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to get the best plan for you.

Pregnancy and breast surgery

Breast surgery in and of itself should not impact future pregnancies. It may impact breast feeding ability to a certain extent.

Pregnancy after Lift with implants.

Thanks for your question. It Is possible that future breast feeding could be altered with your lift, or the implants. If this is important to you it is something that you must consider.  As you know pregnancy  is a breast game changer.  With another pregnancy you may find yourself stretched again. A lift can be repeated, but also something to consider as you think about this surgery. Many women will wait until they are done having children.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and implants

If you are planning a future pregnancy, you may want to postpone any breast surgery, especially a lift. You may consider implants alone, although engorgement, etc can change results.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations.