I am in my early 40s and wanting to schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon for advice on having a mini facelift.

Mini Facelift. Is it detrimental to my consultation if I still have filler in my lower face from a February 2016 injection ? Also, how far out from one's surgery do you have to avoid fillers, if at all ? And finally, does the less skin removed and less muscle pulled up in a mini, equate to a faster recovery ? Eg if you only need a 'little' work versus having a lot of loose skin and muscle to make tight. Thank you know kindly.

Mini Facelift and Fillers

Hi there,
A mini facelift would not be detrimental with your fillers from February but I would make sure to let your plastic surgeon know in advance before you have any procedure(s) done. The surgeon needs to know about your previous injections so he/she may have full knowledge of the history of your procedures to carefully create a customized plan for your facial rejuvenation goals. In general dermal fillers last anywhere from 6 months to up to a year.The concept of removing less skin and pulling less muscle for a shorter recovery period, unfortunately, does not apply to surgery as the same incisions still need to be made with the body requiring adequate time to heal from the surgery regardless of 'how much work' has been done.  Patients normally return to work within a 2 week timeframe following a mini lift procedure. With any surgery for the face, it is best to see a board certified surgeon who specializes in facial cosmetic surgery for optimal results. 
Good luck!

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini-Facelift NYC

I appreciate your concern, but understand you are not alone, as aging gracefully is something we all wish to achieve!
It sounds like you are a candidate for a Mini-Facelift. My favorite technique is the MACS short scar Mini-Facelift. Developed in Europe, it is the ideal approach for the younger patient, not ready for a full facelift, or patients who desire a less invasive procedure with a shorter recovery time. I would also consider fat grafting to your face to re-define your jaw line and fill out those areas that have lost volume over time. This will obviate the need for fillers. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about the subject. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

In my early 40s and wanting to schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon for advice on having a mini facelift.

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive SMAS type facelifts. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  Conversely, men look ruggedly handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.

If the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure. When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face. Non smiling photos, of your face, from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  The face will be shaped around and using any existing dermal fillers. 

We have had numerous patients, from down under, that have returned home as early as 3 days post facelift.  The degree of tissue dissection equals the level of invasiveness of the facelift which is directly proportional to the amount of bruising, swelling and recovery time.

Hope this helps.

Mini lift and fillers

I would not say it would be detrimental. That's seems to be a strong word. A mini facelift will correct the Jowls and jawline. Fillers are usually placed in the Midface, upper cheeks, and nasolabial folds. After 5 months I don't think it will have any effect negatively towards a mini lift surgery. I would avoid more fillers until after your survey. Best of luck ! 

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Needs an exam

In general, more work means more recovery.  However, small areas such as eyelids can bruise a lot and make recovery longer.
The fillers will be OK with a minilift.
Have and exam and best wishes.
Dr. Denkler

Mini facelift (limited-incision facelift)

Thanks for your question. I would say that filler placed in February would have no major effect on planning your mini-facelift now. It depends a bit on what the filler was, I guess, but hyaluronic acid fillers (Juvederm) are typically gone by 4-6 months anyway.

I understand what you are asking about the severity of the problem to be corrected, and degree of recovery. Although it would make sense that more tightening required and more skin to be removed would equate to a longer recovery, I'm not really sure that I have seen that to be true. I use a very similar incision in most patients, and I've not found the more lifting means a longer recovery (pain, swelling, bruising, time to incision being healed, etc.). This tends to be a remarkably easy procedure to bounce back from for most patients. I hope that helps you a little. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Mini Facelift and Filler Placement

As a general statement, having had fillers placed in the lower facial and mid facial region should not alter the results (or planning) of any lower facelift and neck lift (including a "mini"). However, it is important to let your surgeon know which product was used, and "where" it was placed so that he/she can document it in your record. I mention this simply because as this filler goes away (ie if it was placed in your nasolabial folds...the lines that go from your nose to the corners of your lips) you want to both understand that this is the filler resolving and not your lift dropping or falling.
Usually a "mini" lift results in less skin being lifted and removed, as well as less overall tightening of the muscles. Hence,recovery time is typically faster than a "full" lower facelift and neck lift. What is just as important is to make sure this is the correct "lift" for you. Some patients think they need just a "mini" when they actually need a more full lower lift to get the desired result. This is what you and your doctor will decide together in consultation. I'm attaching both a video and blog that I wrote that hopefully will help you in your journey. Good luck!

Paul Lanfranchi, DO, FAOCO
Las Vegas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini Facelift and Fillers

Thank you for your question. If you haven't done fillers recently than I would hold off till after your consultation. If you have had fillers most plastic surgeons can evaluate you despite the fillers. Many of issues that we treat with a Mini facelift are not lucky to be obscured by the fillers especially if you have a vernal idea as to which filler was used and where it was injected. Mini facelift tend to have a briefer recovery than a traditional full facelift because the dissection in the neck is minimal and therefore the surgical field smaller. In a mini facelift the SMAS is often tightened so that does add somewhat to the recovery. At 40 many patients are excellent candidates for a mini facelift but a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be in order to review your options and make the best decision for your anatomy
Best of Luck

Lee A. Gibstein, MD

Mini face lift and fillers

I always find it more difficult to fully assess the patient's needs if they have filler remaining, but it also depends where the filler is. For instance, a min face lift will help with the jowls and neck. If you have filler in the nasolabial folds, it won't change the surgical plan for correction of the neck and jowls, but the nasolabial folds won't be addressed well with a mini lift anyway.If you have filler in the marionette lines or in the chin, it would be difficult to assess and I typically will not do fat transfers if there is filler still present because the survival of the fat decreases. I use fat sometimes to fill the nasolabial folds and any remaining volume deficits at the time of a mini face lift. So it really depends where your filler is. I would ask your plastic surgeon because they may have a different opinion.It never hurts to ask, but in my opinion before you have the surgery if the filler is anywhere but the nasolabial folds, wait until it has dissolved.   

W. John Bull, MD