Day 7 post op: upset that I may have wrong breast implants for me. I am 38, mum of 2, breastfed both. (photos)

I asked for natural in proportion with nice cleavage, not too big as I play sport. I only know they are mentor anatomical, high projection just over 400cc under muscle. Prior to surgery we agreed on 340cc or 380cc. My concern is that they are too big and are going to drop and sag too much and I won't have a nice cleavage as they are set wide apart. I would love advice as to whether the surgeon made the right choice. I went to a very well known and respected Sydney surgeon. Many thanks.

Day 7 post op: upset that I may have wrong breast implants for me. I am 38, mum of 2, breastfed both.

Your result looks excellent. It will take 3 months for them to drop at which time they will look much more natural.

Too early to evaluate as final results.

You should trust your surgeon to make the best choice given the circumstances. I will trust that they did what was in your best interests given your discussion about your goals before surgery. At this point, your breasts are swollen and will look bigger than, let's say, a few months down the line. I think the before and afters show a very nice improvement. As far the difference between 380 and 400 cc it adds up to 4 teaspoons (20 CC). That is usually not a make or break difference. You should discuss the rationale for the slightly bigger breasts with your surgeon in great detail. Best wishes, Dr. ALDO :)

Aldo Guerra, MD

Breast implants too large a week after surgery

Hello there and thank you for your question.

I'm sorry to hear of your distress at the appearance and although your surgeon chose slightly larger implants than agreed prior to surgery it is difficult to assess what would have been best for you as the surgeon has to sometimes make a decision or change once the pocket is dissected and a sizer tried; he should then take into account your expressed wishes desires and aims for the outcome of the procedure. 

Looking at your photographs and taking into account your comments I would reassure you that at this early stage the breasts will very often look much much larger than they will a few weeks and certainly a few months down the line (some patients like the larger look and then might be disappointed as they settle in; in your case it is likely you will feel much better about them later on!) 

This is something of course best discussed with your surgeon but it can take really up to six months before the shape of the bust becomes stable and only then can a full judgement be made.

I hope that this information was helpful and my very best wishes for your continuing progress.

with kind regards

Tariq Ahmad, MBBChir, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. You should be aware that a significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small. I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image. 

From the physiological standpoint, it takes many months ( and even up to one year) to see the final results of surgery. factors such as swelling, tissue contraction, skin redraping, implant shifting etc. come into play.  

From the psychological standpoint, patients undergo an “adaptation period" during which time they get used to the changes that the surgical procedure has brought about. Severe emotional swings can also occur after any type of surgical procedure.

In other words, it is much too early to tell.  My best advice: rest,  recover, and exercise patience.    In the long run, once patients have adjusted physically and psychologically to their new body image, the vast majority of patients are very pleased.