Boob lift or implants alone? (Photo)

Badly wanting my boobs fixed! Some surgeons are saying I do need a boob lift and some say I don't and that it depends how big I want to go. I need help! Boob lift or implants alone?!

Breast augmentation or breast augmentation with lift

Great question and I suspect you will get a combination of recommendations based in large part because your breasts are somewhere in between needing a lift versus not needing a lift.   The right answer depends in large on what type of results you are expecting as well as the implant size associated with that result .   For example if you wanted a 1/2 cup size increase in your breast size or perhaps even a one cup size increase in your breast size the residual breast tissue will likely be fairly loose and droop down off of the implant.  If you were OK with that resolved then no lift would be needed if you wanted a firm perky her breast shape with that implant size that I lift would be needed.   The bigger the implant the more the implant will fill out that residual breast laxity and the less likelihood of you needing a breast lift .

all the best

Lift with augmentation

Thank you for your question and sharing your photos. You would get a very nice result with  augmentation alone, however you may find a lift will raise the nipple slightly to a more centralized position on the breast.  More of a borderline case.  I if you're not sure, I can see optional are playing with it.  in situations like yours, I have a discussion with the patient and if they are open to a periareolar lift, I will let them know that I can use my intraoperative assessment to make that final decision after the implant are in.   alternatively, I let them know we can proceed with the augmentation, and if they decide later that they would like a lift, then this can be done in the office under local anesthetia.

Communication is key.

Because your degree of ptosis appears to be mild and your nipples are still located above the inframammary fold, modest implants should give you a boost in size and restore upper pole fullness without the need for a lift. Larger implants, on the other hand, may mean more sagging over time. So, your surgeons are correct in saying that your choice of implant size will determine the best course of action. Most importantly, you should work with a plastic surgeon who you trust and can clearly communicate with in regards to your goals and expectations.

Glenn M. Davis, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Lift or Not? Could Go Either Way

Thanks for your question, zwinky. I'm not surprised that you've heard conflicting opinions from different doctors. Based on your photos, you appear to be just on the cusp of true breast ptosis (sagging). In the hands of the right surgeon, you could likely achieve favorable results with either outcome. Keep in mind that larger implants will expedite the normal sagging process. Therefore, if you're looking for a significant increase in size, it may be in your best interest to undergo a lift with your augmentation. Good luck with your decision!

Rocco C. Piazza, MD

Lift vs implants

Depending on your final goal size and shape, you may be able to get away with implants alone for a very natural look.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Boob lift or implants alone

Thank you for submitting your question. You will have  a nice result with a breast augmentation.  A breast lift will provide for more symmetry of your breasts and lift the nipple complex.  Look at before and after photos of patients with similar anatomy from ypur Plastic Surgeon.   Best Wishes. 

You have borderline ptosis, but lift may be avoidable

You show borderline ptosis, versus pseudptosis, with your lower fold coursing from high medially to low laterally. Often a situation like yours will fill out nicely with implants alone, though they need to be large enough to fill out the tissues adequately. Sometimes secondary stretch of the breast tissues will allow the nipple and apex to descend below ideal location, and secondary lift may prove necessary, so you should understand the options and potential costs if the latter proves necessary.  Much more accurate prediction is obtained with direct physical exam, however, as it is not possible to assess tissue quality by photos alone, and special views are needed to determine the relationship of the nipple position to the course of the underlying inframammary fold, which is the actual determinant of need for mastopexy at the time of augmentation. I would avoid implants over the muscle, however, as that will just aggravate the tendency to later ptosis/sag and complicate any lift that may be needed in the future.  I hope that this helps. Information is found at the link that follows.

Thomas M. DeWire Sr., MD (retired)
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Boob lift or implants alone?

You can have breast implants alone but with your glandular ptosis (sag of gland) you will likely need the implkants placed under the breast on top pf muscle to avoid a snoopy deformity.

If you want your breasts higher or more "perky" you will need a breast lift with implants under muscle.

A good plastic surgeon can help you decide the best option for you. Discuss "snoopy deformity" with the suregon you choose.

For more information please read below:

Lift or aug

From looking at your pictures I think a nice aug with silicone will suffice.As long as your nipple is at or above your inframammary fold you should do well with just an aug.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast uplift and/or augmentation, a non-classic operation needed

The reason for which you cannot take a decision and there are different opinions is that your case is a border line case. You are on the limits of skin laxity after which breast lift alone cannot correct the problem.
My opinion is that your decision has to do with a simple question:
You want to increase the size of your breast or you want just to lift your breast?
If you want to increase the size of your breast, I think that the final result will be better than the breast lift alone. But that means that your breast will be bigger. In this case you will have a bigger breast about one – one and a half bra size.
The operation must not be the usual breast augmentation that a plastic surgeon does. You need some specific differentiations that have to be done during the operation. Without them the classic operation of breast augmentation will not give you a good result. With these differentiations I think that you will have a better result than doing a breast lift.
From the other point of view if you don’t want to increase the size of your breast, the operation of mastopexy or breast lift will be appropriate. In this case, you will have two disadvantages. The first is that you will not have breast upper pole fullness and the second that you will have some scars. The scars are usually healing well but do not disappear completely. There are different techniques of breast augmentation with relative scars, but this has to be argument of discussion in the office.