6 weeks post op labiaplasty, each side healing differently? (Photo)

I had my labiaplasty almost 6 weeks ago, I noticed that one side finally is starting to look the way I want, whilst the other side is swollen and irritated. There seems to be an open split in the skin similar to a paper cut where the suture is sitting and it feels like it keeps cutting in and will never heal, the whole side is still quite lumpy, do you think this will eventually heal properly like the left side. Is this common to heal so differently? I see my surgeon in 4 days.

Labia revision

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. Your present dissatisfaction may be due to swelling or the specifics of the trimming labiaplasty.  The reconstruction technique depends on the deformity. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions. Gary J. Alter, M.D.  Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC

Slow healing, "grooving" with too-tight, too large-caliber sutures...

At 6 weeks, what you see is what you get. Your surgeon unfortunately used slow-dissolving sutures and a running, ?"baseball stitch" closure, which can lead to the "grooving" you have. Lesson for surgeons- avoid anything larger than 5-0 in the skin, and try to be sub-cuticular or if "through & through," use interrupted sutures, rapidly dissolving (e.g. Vicryl Rapide) and not tight! Ask your surgeon re: his/her advice. Be conservative. Please wait until at least 3-4 months to contemplate revision, and 5-6 months to actually have it done

Thanks for the question and photos.  It does appear there is asymmetry and this might be due to the continued swelling of your right side greater than the left side.  Usually at 6 weeks the results are pretty much the results with the exception of some swelling.  It certainly does appear that you might end up with some creases across the incision line due to the type of suturing technique utilized on your right side.
if this continues to bother you, you could have a revision surgery. Please choose your revision surgeon wisely as experience, expertise, reputation and results are more important than if the surgeon is from your home town or if he/she is board certified.
John r Miklos MD
Urogynecologist  & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Different size

It appears from your photo that you need more labia remove from your left side. 6 weeks most of the swelling should subside. It may take another 2-3 months for that side to settle down.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical healing scars after labiaplasty

The two sides were not cut identically and will not heal identically, but when the swelling goes down completely they may appear more symmetrical. The scar on the left side was positioned slightly medial (toward the inside). This is a favorable location because it keeps the scar out of view. The right scar starts medial at the perineum, but crosses to the lateral side (outside) of the labium as it courses anteriorly where it is more apparent. This is obviously less desirable, but if you're a good healer, the scar may not be apparent in a few months. Scar positioning, in my practice, is planned deliberately and executed precisely to avoid these issues.

6 weeks post op labiaplasty, each side healing differently?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  You may see some subtle improvement in your side of concern but at 6 weeks you are approaching your long-term results.  It appears that your surgeon closed the trim incision with a rather large caliber suture in a baseball, whip-stitch fashion that has caused the creases along the edges of your labia minora.  Talk to your surgeon and voice your concerns.  They can offer you the best treatment advice.