I want bigger lips. Should I do injections or maybe implants? (photos)

I have such a small upper lip and when I smile I lose most of it. What do you think I should do? Lip injections or implants? Also would implants be sufficient for the size I want? I want natural but a lot bigger upper lip including the sides of my lips which are super tiny.

Lip Implants vs Filler

Many thanks for your question. Many of my patients who are interested in having larger lips will normally start with a bit of filler to see if they like the more enhanced look. Lip filler is a quick procedure and is a temporary solution, lasting up to 6 months. 

They can then move on to Permalip which is a permanent solution. The procedure takes roughly 45 minutes and you will probably have some swelling and bruising for up to a week but it will settle down and create a natural look yet achieving the larger top lip you desire. 

Please go to a board certified surgeon.

Good luck

Lip implants or fillers?

Thank you for your question.  I have had experience with fat, implants, and several HA products.  In my experience the HA products are great because they can achieve a natural look and feel that some other products can't deliver.  In addition, if a person has too much or is unhappy it can be treated with a medicine that helps it to dissolve.  I would recommend you seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that has experience with fillers and implants for lips.  During your examination one would be able to weight the risks and benefits of implants and fillers for your anatomy.  If done correctly you should see a great result.  Good luck!

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

I have such a small upper lip and when I smile I lose most of it. What do you think I should do? Lip injections or implants?

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants (cheek, chin) for over 30 years. From the photos, your upper lip is small compared to your lower. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The upper lip can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant but there is a limit to the size of lip implant that can be used. For that reason, a combination of both may be required to achieve the desired degree of lip fullness if you wish to have some degree of permanent augmentation.

Hope this helps.

You can always start with a filler, but it's a bad long-term solution

Despite the advertising about lip injections (JuveDerm/Restylane), they typically only last about 2-3 months.  With repeated injections over time, it can create quite a bit of scarring as well.  Fat grafting is an option as well, but that also takes multiple injections to get a permanent result.  The lip implants are quick, permanent and predictable.  You really need one on the top -- I think your lower lip looks great.  you could use either the 4 or 5mm implant (probably the 5mm).  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon