Thinking about getting a rhinoplasty. I don't actually hate my nose, it looks okay straight on, but how can I improve? (Photos)

Would it just be tip refinement? Or do I have to get work on the bridge and nostril width too? That's what a surgeon has already recommended but I want more opinions. I'm really scared of the surgeon making my nose too small for my face, or making me not look like myself anymore. I mainly don't like how it looks when I smile. Thank you!

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important when looking for a plastic surgeon for Rhinoplasty to find one who is board certified and specializes in Rhinoplasty to obtain the best results possible.  To fully evaluate your nose, I would recommend you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and have a full facial and nasal examination performed. However, from what I can tell, it appears your tip is slightly enlarged and bulbous. You would benefit from a tip rhinoplasty which includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing and smaller in size and give you that sharper appearing nose. Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

How can Rhinoplasty improve looks

I believe your surgeon is not off on his/her recommendations for you. Imaging systems like Crisalix are very helpful in visualizing what you may look like after the recommended changes. This will help you and your surgeon be on the same page as to what you feel comfortable changing and what can actually be achievable in your case. Imaging systems are now capable of sharing customized changes via e-mail. 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Asian Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photos. It's good to hear that you don't hate your nose, it's important to be confident. Sure your nose can be improved, without full photos or medical exam the bridge and projection cannt be determined. But the tip can be refined (a little bit because you have thick skin), nostrils can be narrowed slightly, and length can be added if needed. You can get more opinions by seeing more than one surgeon and deciding. Good luck

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thinking about getting a rhinoplasty. I don't actually hate my nose, it looks okay straight on, but how can I improve?

Improving the nostril width is frequent request of patients wanting nasal refinement. It is possible to improve the cosmetic appearance of the tip alone without altering the rest of the nose in some patients. Whether the optimal option in your particular situation would be a tip rhinoplasty alone or a full rhinoplasty would best be determined at a consultation. Either procedure can be performed with a closed or open approach.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. If you live outside of the United States, the surgeon should ideally be a member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS).You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty

You are the only one who can determine if you need Rhinoplasty. No one knows if you are unhappy with your nose, but you.  It is important to consult with highly experienced board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Rhinoplasty

If you don't hate your nose, a rhinoplasty probably isn't the best choice for you. However, since it is impossible to give you accurate advice without seeing you in person, I would suggest that you schedule a consultation with another board certified plastic surgeon in your area who specializes in rhinoplasty to be assessed and get another opinion. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon