Wondering what's up with my nostril. What can I do to fix it? (Photo)

When I was younger I had my nose pierced heard a crack it hurt quite a bit so I removed the jewelry and hoped it would heal normally now years later my right nostril has a line through it, and actually causes me some pain. Did the cartilage break? What can I do to fix it? Wondering about the cost, and if OHIP covers this sort of thing (don't have high hopes for that one)

Nostril can it be fixed?

Thank you for your questions.  If you don't like the appearance of your nose the first place to start is a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in rhinoplasty.  They can evaluate you in person and discuss your options.  Best of luck!

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can a nose piercing cause nostril deformity?

Thank you for sharing your question and photo. It is quite possible that the trauma from piercing has caused damage to the cartilage. There is nothing you can do to fix it without surgery.  It's highly unlikely that insurance would cover this cosmetic procedure. To determine whether you are candidate for surgery, a consultation and thorough nasal examination would be required. Be sure to consult with a reputable, board-certified surgeon who performs a lot of rhinoplasty surgery.Best of luck,Dr. Harmych

Brian Harmych, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question. It is somewhat difficult to tell what is happening here in the picture.  The best advice you can receive will come from an in-person consultation.  I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD