My left implant is higher and harder than my right implant. (photo)

I had surgery 4 months ago and my left breast is higher. If I put my arms up, I have a really deep indent in my left breast (see pics posted) is this normal? Or will it need to be corrected? I wore my strap as directed and massage as often as possible. It looks absolutely ridiculous. My implants are 415cc and under my muscle.

Capsular Contracture

You are a perfect example of why it is so important to stop telling women to massage or use straps after surgery: if something goes wrong, you are to blame for 'not doing it correctly, or not doing it enough'.  This of course, is not the case, and you are not to blame for your problems, which you have two: capsular contracture, and double bubble/implant dropout.  The capsular contracture is due to your periareolar incision, increasing the risk of implant contamination and biofilm formation, and the double bubble to your choice of implants, which were too big for your anatomic capacity.  You will need an ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon who specializes in revision breast surgery to help you. Your surgery needs to be performed through an inframammary incision. Go on a few second opinion consultations. Best of luck!

Breast result

Thanks for your inquiry, you should definitely go see your surgeon to discuss.  I am sorry to tell you that at four months, it is unlikely the left breast will even out without surgery.  Good Luck.   

Breast shape after breast augmentation

I am sorry to hear about your breast augmentation result.  There is obviously significant asymmetry between your breasts.  The implants are occupying different locations on your chest and this is certainly a big component of the asymmetry.  I do not know if there was some or a significant amount of pre-surgery asymmetry.  Revision surgery will be needed unfortunately to improve on the asymmetry.  This may include capsulectomy if capsule contracture is present and implant exchange if size asymmetry exists or if again capsule contracture is present.  There appears to be some mild "bottoming" out of the right breast and this will likely need to be repaired as well.

Good luck with your breast revision journey.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Post breast augmentation

From your photograph it appears that you may have developed scarring of the tissue underneath the left breast implant.  I would say that at four months following your original surgery it is likely that you may need to undergo a second procedure to release this scar tissue.  This is called a capsulotomy.  It is normal for a capsule to form around the breast implants after this surgery.  However if it forms while the implant is still high then it will keep the implant in that position preventing it from dropping further.   If there has been no significant change in the next two months you may want to consider this secondary procedure.   Incidentally you have developed a "double bubble"  on the other breast.  This occurs from an incomplete release of the breast fold.  You may wish to discuss this with your surgeon.

Gerald L. Yospur, MD
Mesa Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after implants

Thank you for your question and photos.  Without an in-person exam and more information, it is difficult to give good advice.  What I see on your photos is 1) double bubble on the left breast in the picture and 2) a high riding implant on the right breast in the picture.  The double bubble is caused by an incomplete release of the old breast crease.  Based on the size of your implant, it looks like your surgeon had to lower your breast creases to center the implant under the nipple.  Sometimes the old breast crease is not released and you end up with a double bubble.  On the higher implant, there are two possibilities: 1) the breast crease was not released enough to lower the implant, so it has stayed above the constricted breast fold, or 2) you have a capsule contracture.   Contracture is pretty uncommon at 4 months, so I suspect an incomplete release of the breast fold.  Best to follow up with your surgeon and get your questions answered.  Good luck.  

Uneven breasts

With your limited photos and without an examination, its hard to give you a detailed recommendation. I highly recommend you return to your plastic surgeon and explain your concerns. If you are unhappy, you should seek a second opinion. It is possible that you may need revision surgery depending on your examination.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon