Can turbinates swell too much during the nasal cycle?

Hi there. For the past year I have been suffering from extreme congestion. My tubinates are doing what they are supposed to, swell on one side to give the other a break, but now they swell much too much and leave me very congested. When lying down, the side that is down swells completely shut and the pressure is extreme, allowing me only 3-4 hours of sleep a night. My quality of life is at an all time low because of how little sleep I get now. Is there any advice?

Turbinate swelling

There are many reasons why this could happen.  It might be that you have allergies and/or anatomical issues exacerbating the situation.  I would recommend that you see an ENT surgeon who can best diagnose after a complete examination.  Good luck!

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal congestion

Thanks for your question. Sounds like you do indeed have a turbinate problem but you may also have allergies and sinus issues as well. I'd start by visiting an ENT doc who can adequately evaluate your symptoms. You should be able to get some relief with medications alone, but sometimes turbinate reduction surgery is necessary. Check out my blog post for more info. Good luck!

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon