Are turbinate reductions performed on people with alternating swelling?

My turbinates do what they should. They take turns swelling due to the nasal cycle. But they do too much. They swell on one side shut and give a lot of pressure. Then a few hours pass and the other side swells shut and experiences great pressure while the swollen side opens. Sleep has been severely affected since Oct 2015. Because of this my ENT has recommended a septoplasty and turbinate reduction. Is that the correct approach for this problem after a year of medicinal therapy not working?

The nasal cycle

I appreciate that you understand the nasal cycle as not many people do.  Oftentimes there can be confounding issues that exacerbate the cycle such as allergies, stress, anxiety, etc.  While turbinate reduction and septoplasty my improve your symptoms, you have to look at what changed last year that led you down this path.  If the obstruction is due in fact to a septal deviation, then yes, a septoplasty would be good.  Look into medical causes and ask your physician about Vasomotor Rhinitis, which can be brought on my new life situations.  I hope this helps.  Please see either an ENT or a Double Board certified Facial Plastic and Reconstructive surgeon.  A general plastic surgeon will not be able to help you with this condition.  All the best.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question. You will be able to obtain the best advice from an in-person consultation.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Airway obstruction with septal deviation

In our practice, for most patients who have airway obstruction and septal deviation, we performed not only the correction of the septum, but also reduce the size of the turbinates, and this helps open up the airway on both sides.