Rhinoplasty for a bulbous tip and undefined bridge? (Photo)

my nose doesnt suit my face , i have a rather small face and my nose looks permanently swollen and huge. Smiling in pictures has become my worst enemy because of how wise my nose gets. The tip of my nose is bulbous and the bridge of my nose has very little definition which makes it look even "fatter" and swollen

Dorsal hump and bulbous tip

Hi Cass,

Based on your pictures, you seem to have a dorsal hump and a bulbous tip. This can be corrected with a rhinoplasty procedure. The tip cartilages have to be reconstructed and any fatty tissue from the tip needs to be removed. The dorsal hump can be rasped down. The best way to see what your results could look like is to have computer imaging done.

Dr. S

Rhinoplasty for a bulbous tip and undefined bridge?

How the Rhinoplasty operation is performed?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Why should I get a Rhinoplasty operation?

If you are unhappy with the look of your nose, you think that you would be much happier after a rhinoplasty operation; if you had an accident and the shape of your nose got worsened after this accident; then you can be a good candidate for rhinoplasty operation. It is a well-known fact that individuals with feeling themselves beautiful have higher self-esteem. Therefore; if the look or functionality of your nose bothers you, you can get benefit from a rhinoplasty operation.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Your photos do show that your nose could be refined to fit more appropriately with the rest of your facial features. Making your tip more delicate and removing the hump from your nose would be helpful. You might also benefit from shortening and narrowing your nose a little as well. Seek a consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Warren J. Katz, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip and undefined bridge

A closed rhinoplasty approach can address narrowing the bulbous tip, shaving down the dorsal hump, and narrowing the bridge line, with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. For more information and many before-and-after examples, please see the video and the link below

Boxy Tip

You tip is considered "Boxy". That is because of the shape. This is from your lower lateral cartilages being large. These can be modified to make your nose look smaller. I am not sure your base width is too wide. I would get a consult from someone well versed in rhinoplasty to look at your options.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for a bulbous tip

Thank you for your question and photos. I do see what you are talking about. Your tip and bridge can be improved and refined to get a straighter and slimmer upper and middle third. Your tip is a little boxy which can be refined to give it more shape. The nose can be shortened slightly as well if needed. Schedule a consult for a full assessment and examination. Good luck.

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous Tip

Some nose tips are bulbous because the cartilages are large and some look bulbous because the skin is thick. Your nose has the combination and is require someone very experienced in dealing with these 2 adverse conditions to deliver the type result that would be worthwhile.  Your nose is also deviated to the left which often means that septum is deviated to the right internally, and it is also wide across the length of the nose. It is not just the tip that is wide. There seems to be a minor hump as well. There is an algorithm that one has to follow to reduce the skin thickness, create a proper frame and eliminate the space between the skin and the underlying frame to produce a pleasing tip definition.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty so they can perform a nasal examination and give you the best options. Based on your photographs, it appears that you would benefit from a rhinoplasty to thin out the bridge of the nose and tip refinement to reduce the size of the tip of your nose. This includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing and proportional to the rest of your face. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD