I am one week post op and I am still spotting - is this normal?

I had vaginoplasty a week ago and was told bleeding would stop in 1-3 days, but I am on day 7 and still require a pad. The bleeding isn't heavy or bright red, so is this normal?

Bleeding 1 week after Vaginoplasty Procedure

Bleeding after a vaginal procedure ( vaginoplasty), which also involves suturing of deep pelvic floor muscles can last for up to several days. With time, it should gradually decrease and change the color. It will also depend on the extend of the surgery as well as your activity level. Some patients are not aware of the complexity of the surgery; hence increase the intensity of their physical activity too early. The best advise is to contact the physician who performed the surgery to be evaluated since occasionally a  "normal" bleeding may need a more thorough attention.

Best regards,

Yvonne Wolny, MD

Spotting post labiaplasty is normal and can continue for a few weeks post operatively.  You may notice that spotting becomes more noticeable as your activity increases in that time period as well. If you begin to notice an increase or an excessive amount of bleeding, it is advised that you contact your surgeon for further evaluation. 

Bleeding After Vaginoplasty

It is completely normal to still experience light bleeding one week after your Vaginoplasty surgery. It is not unusual for patients to bleed off and on for a couple of weeks, especially on days when you are more active. As a general rule, I tell my patients that they should always contact me if they experience bleeding that is soaking through a pad in an hour or if it is not improving. Cheers!

Vaginal Bleeding normal?

Dear 1098sarah,Thank you for your question. Based on what you have described this would not appear to be abnormal and part of a normal healing process. Obviously those of us who did not perform the surgery or are privy to the particulars of the surgery and your history cannot comment beyond this. Should your concern remain a visit to your surgeon will likely resolve this issue for you.

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Post-op spotting is expected

Thank you for your question. Post-op bleeding is expected and can come and go for up to 6 weeks depending on the specifics of your surgery. Your surgeon being familiar with your case can usually determine what is normal or not based on your description over the phone. From your description it sounds like typical and expected spotting. However, If bleeding is heavy or you are soaking pads, then you should be seen right away by your surgeon. Speedy recovery.

Peter Castillo, MD, FACOG
Bay Area Urogynecologist

Vaginal bleeding after vaginoplasty can be normal or abnormal

Light vaginal bleeding after vaginoplasty can be normal, can occur at various times during the first few weeks, and doesn't really follow a schedule set in stone. However, without an examination or knowledge of the details of your surgery, there is no way to tell if you're having typical post-vaginoplasty bleeding. Contact your surgeon for specific advice.

Absolutely normal

It is possible to have post operative spotting 4-6 weeks after surgery though most spotting resolves within 2.  Always check with your surgeon for confirmation.\\John R Miklos MDAtlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Bleeding

Some bleeding after vaginoplasty can be normal but if it continues you should check with your doctor to make sure all is okay.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN