Would a chin augmentation improve my profile? (Photos)

I had a horrible underbite growing up that has been corrected with orthodontics, im incredibly unhappy with how my profile looks now that my bite is correct. My jawline was once defined and now seems to not exsist. I have been considering a rhinoplasty for a long time now but would like to know if i should combine it with another procedure to inprove my profile

Chin implants

a chin implant would definitely help your profile. Chin implant surgery has long been touted as a simple operation that reliably gives good results. 

Chin and Nose

The best way to determine if either of these facial procedures would be aesthetically beneficial is to have some computer imaging done. Your opinion is the only one that matters and you just need some imaging to help you make those decisions.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Would A Chin Augmentation Improve My Profile?

Absolutely yes!

Your chin is both retrusive and long.  The chin implant is placed on the anterior aspect of your chin with a protrusion forward which both visually shortens your chin in the vertical direction and augments the front of the chin to be in a better relationship with your lower lip.

If you were my patient, I would place the chin implant through an intra oral incision leaving no visible scars, and also anchor the chin in place with two titanium screws which will prevent its movement vertically, horizontally, or diagonally.  The intra oral wound heals in approximately five days, and in my experience, gives an excellent improvement in two different planes, both of which would have a salutary effect on your profile.

Would a chin augmentation and a rhinoplasty improve my profile?

From the one very limited side profile photograph, it appears that there is a mildly weak and recessive chin profile for which a small chin implant can improve. Chin implants are manufactured in a large array of sizes and shapes and are placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia. In our practice, we use Implantech silastic chin implants which can also be custom carved when necessary. A  Closed rhinoplasty procedure is performed under general anesthesia with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. The rhinoplasty procedure can address shaving down the dorsal hump, refining the nasal tip, and narrowing the bridge line. Both a chin implant procedure and a rhinoplasty are frequently performed together in our practice. For more information, diagrams of the chin implants themselves, and many before-and-after results of this combination, please see the link and the video below

Nose and Chin surgery

I am glad to see that you have included your smile view since it exhibits a condition that would not be as noticeable noticeable in repose. You have a long and receding chin. Overall your chin needs to be shortened in length and advanced at the same time though a sliding osteotomy. Your chin does not blend in with your jawline specially when you smile and that has to be part of the prime aesthetic plan.Yes, your nose and chin surgery can be done at the same time and we do this combination commonly. I have written a book about each of these topics but you should be able to find someone in your area who has expertise in both surgeries. If you choose a surgeon from a long distance most of us offer FaceTime or Skype initial consultations.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon