I'm 4'9, 93lbs, looking at 350cc or 375cc, but not wanting to look too large. Which will look better?

I'm only 4'9 I'm 93lb but I am normally 85lb. I'm getting my breast done very soon. I am currently B30 or A34 depends where I buy the bras. I am torn between 350cc and 375cc it will be under the muscle and cohesive. I don't want to look to large which do you think is best?

Implant Size

Dear  shortyr1:  Implant size selection is the most common question for breast augmentation patients.  In terms of picking the right implants to achieve your goals, generally speaking, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning and 2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall.  Hence a physical exam is really needed to give you any meaningful advice.  

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural  fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

There’s very little difference between 350 and 375

The volume difference between 350 cc breast implants and 375 cc implants is the difference of less than 2 tablespoons, although of course it’s perfectly normal to feel nervous about picking the perfect size. If your surgeon offers 3D imaging, you can see exactly how each size would look on your body before you make a final decision. Otherwise, going with the larger size can help compensate for the slight compression of the implant underneath the muscle, and many women express regret over not having chosen larger implants for their breast augmentation. Therefore, going a little bigger to start with could be good for you in the long-term, depending on your goals.

Breast augmentation

Dear shortyr1,

As you are of a small stature and tiny frame and build, it is important to select breast implants that provide the type of natural shoulder breast waist hip ratio that you are seeking.

I have been performing breast augmentation surgery for 20 years and over the past 5 to 7 years have invested in the Vectra 3D breast imaging system. This is a 3D photography system that takes photographs of you pre-operatively and allows you to select different implant sizes and shapes. This would give you a very accurate estimation of your breast contour, shape and form and your body proportion shape and form that the implants you select will provide. Without this type of 3 dimensional pre-operative information it is very difficult for patients to decide on the type of implant that they would best benefit from.

At this point prior to undergoing surgery, I’d seek out a certified plastic surgeon with a lot of breast experience and an impeccable reputation, good website with good before and afters as well as the Vectra 3D so you can better assess which implant will work best for you.

I hope this information has been of some assistance and best of luck.

For more information, please review the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

350cc or 375cc?

In my experience, a 25cc difference in volume will make almost no visible difference to the patient.  The best thing you can do now is to make sure your Plastic Surgeon has a clear understanding of your goals and allow him/her to make that final decision based on his technique, your body, and your final goal.  Best of luck!

Steven Heaney, MD
Erie Plastic Surgeon

25 cc difference

A 25 cc difference in implants is not a large difference. You can do a baggy test to determine which volume you like more. Good luck.

Breast Implant Sizing

The exact choice of size that will work best for you is an important decision that you should make with your board certified plastic surgeon. 3D Vectra imaging and simulation, the Mentor gel sizing system, rice filled implants at home in your bra, and bio-dimensional analysis are all methods that can be employed to help you come to a decision. Because size is such an important component of decision making in breast augmentation our office employs all of these techniques with each patient to ensure the highest rate of satisfaction possible. Good luck with your decision!

25cc difference

25cc difference is not a significant difference when considering breast implants. It's less than the common cooking measurement of a tablespoon. Many patients after having a BA wish they went larger. So, if you are happy with the 375 size...go for it. Good luck and be well.

Kevin Maguire, MD
Vermont Plastic Surgeon

Implant sizing

Thank you for your question.  I agree with the answers you have already received.  The difference between a 350cc implant and a 375cc implant is not much in terms of the overall volume of the implant.  More important is your own breast and chest dimensions and your overall goals for the surgery.  By your description you are quite petite, and both options will be a noticeable change for you and should give you a similar look.

The real goal is to meet the look you are wishing to achieve.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to help guide you on implant options for this and also for ultimately deciding what implant will optimally meet your breast dimensions.  During your sizing, if you felt like the implants were definitely too large, and you are not wishing to look too big, you may want to revisit the sizing.  If you felt the 350 cc, or the 375 cc implant was slightly too large, but close to the look you are hoping to achieve, it might be a good choice for you, as the implant enhancement will look slightly smaller under the breast and chest muscle.

Best Wishes,

Alex Seal, MD, FRCSC
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Implant Size - 350-375cc

It is so normal to go back and forth between sizes and worry that you will make a bad decision and be left with a breast size you don't like.  But let me help you with this one - 30cc's is a Tablespoon of fluid.  Go into your kitchen and fill a tablespoon with fluid... see what a little bit of difference that is?!  And you are going back and forth about LESS fluid than that!  So, my advice is - pick the bigger one (375cc) since patients often wish they went bigger... and then forget all about it and move on.  You will be so happy with your augmentation and likely not remember what size you picked in a few months.  Best of luck!

Thank you for the question.  Despite your good description of goals, online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you schedule additional time to spend with your plastic surgeon communicating your goals, preferably prior to the date of surgery.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” or "too large" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.