Want an arm lift, should I lose more fat in them? Will I need lipo as is? I want them to be slender (Photo)

I intend on getting an arm lift very soon. Should i try to lose more fat in my arms? Will I need lipo with how they are now? I want them to look normal and slender, is this possible at this stage? As you can see my arms are large, I've needed this surgery since about 16 years old (27 now) since losing over 150lbs. You will also notice the crease on the left arm, will this be gone after surgery??

Want an arm lift, should I lose more fat in them? Will I need lipo as is? I want them to be slender

If you can lose additional weight, this will improve the result.  The crease can sometimes be released as well.

Arm Lift

It appears you would be a good candidate for an arm lift! It is best to get to your goal weight prior to surgery, depending on what size you want to be. As long as your BMI is in an acceptable range (as to avoid complications) you should be able to proceed with the surgery as is. Depending on how slender your looking for them to get, you may need a combination of liposuction and an arm lift. We usually recommend doing the liposuction first to see how the skin reacts and the lift at a later date, for best results.

Sergio Alvarez, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is a common adjunct to arm lifter brachial plastic.

Judging from the limited information in the photographs an arm lift would probably be accompanied by liposuction.

Want an arm lift, should I lose more fat in them?

Congratulations on your very significant weight loss;   you should be very proud of this accomplishment! Best to achieve your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with arm lifting surgery.  Doing so will allow for a better quality outcome.

Then select your  plastic surgeon carefully;  make sure that he/she has significant/demonstrable experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.  You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Arm lift and liposuction

Thank you for your question.  As long as you're close to your ideal body weight, you would be a good candidate for an arm lift combined with liposuction.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Good Afternoon Nicole,

Thank you for your questions and congratulations on your weight loss and perseverance!  As with any surgery, as well as being a Post Dramatic Weight Loss (PDWL) patient (a person that has lost 100+ pounds), you will want to be as close to your stable goal weight as possible going into the surgery to achieve the best proportion and outcome in the safest way.  Often a combination of skin removal and liposuction is used to achieve a more slender, balanced look.  The indentation that concerns you may also be improved by the surgery to smooth things out. 

As always, please consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Best of Luck,

Dr. K.

Julie Khanna, MD FRCSC
Ontario Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift

Hello and thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss.  Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for an arm lift once you achieve your goal weight.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Arm lift...You're a GREAT candidate...possibly.

From a quick photo of just your arm only, it looks like you would have a great result strictly from the  anatomical appearance of your arm.

The incision would be designed on the inner aspect from your elbow towards the armpit area, and depending on what the armpit tissue looked like, maybe just stop there , or extend down slightly into the armpit.

Now, with that being said, medically you must be fit enough to undergo three or 4 hours of anesthesia,

In general, we obtain Medical clearance from  a patient's doctor ahead of time if we are concerned. Factors that are considered are obesity, smoking, diabetes, as well as other medical disorders not mentioned  that can contribute  to post operatively healing complications.

Medical clearance is important when body shaping procedures are being considered.

Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Planning your arm lift

In preparation for an arm lift, or any other body contouring procedure, it's always preferable to be near your goal weight. If you're already at your goal weight, then losing more fat from your arms prior to surgery wouldn't seem to be an option. If you're still above your goal weight, then I would encourage you to work towards it in preparation for surgery.

The crease on the left arm is difficult to correct and I think it will likely be there post-op.

In a patient such as yourself, I would typically incorporate liposuction as part of the arm lift procedure. Without it, a 'slender' final result will be difficult to achieve. Good luck.

Owen Reid, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon