Have I torn my muscle repair?

Hello, I am 5 days post op this morning. Over night actually right before i woke up i had a random dream about a bee flying over my head.. as i went to swipe it away i jerked my head back in my sleep creating a terrible burning sensation in my upper abdomen area. i froze because it hurt so bad but the pain went away.. I'm worried I hurt the muscle repair... It isn't hurting now. Exactly how strong are the sutures usually?

Tummy tuck concern about muscle tear

At five days after an abdominoplasty it is typical to have some discomfort.  Sudden movement can cause pain in your abdominal area and may not indicate any problems but to make sure let your surgeon examine your and give you his/her assessment.

Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Muscle repair

If things do not look different, it is highly unlikely that you tore your stitches. Most surgeons will put several interrupted stitches, and then followed this with yet another layer of one or 2 running stitches. Therefore, the repair should be strong. It should be enough to withstand slight jerking motions as you described, and most importantly, if the appearance has not changed, it is unlikely any stitches have broken. See your surgeon to get examined.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck muscle repair

Hi. It would be really hard to say without examining you. The symptoms you described could certainly happen in the absence of actually damaging your muscle repair. It would be best to let your surgeon know so that he or she can examine you and give you guidance on that.
Good luck and take care, Dr. Howell

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Concern

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent tummy tuck. You are very early in the post-operative period and your abdomen will feel very tender from any sudden movements you make. While it is unlikely you have injured your muscle repair, it is best to have an in-person examination with your plastic surgeon. Hope this helps.