I had an extended TT with muscle repair and lipo. I feel like my flank area hasn't been touched. (Photo)

My doctor insists that my flank area was not included in my extended tummy tuck. He has told me that this is a completely different surgery. I do recall him telling me before my surgery that the flanks were included. Can someone please tell me if they are supposed to be included? Here are some pics 6 months after my surgery.

Hi Lisa, thank you for your question and photos. It appears that there is remaining #adipose tissue which was not removed. The reasons could include putting you at risk for #complications during recovery. I suggest you discuss with your board certified plastic surgeon how to address this. You may have liposuction and additional tissue removed around your abdomen and flanks if your BCPS approves. This is called a #TTRevision. I recommend you speak with your PS or obtain another opinion from a BCPS after a face to face evaluation. Best wishes!

Normally I discuss how far the incision will go around before the operation. If you did not discuss the incision going around onto your back, then these areas were not addressed. In order to remove that skin, the incision would have to be near circumferential.
A standard abdominoplasty only addresses the front of the abdomen, and not the flanks.

I had an extended TT with muscle repair and lipo. I feel like my flank area hasn't been touched.

Thank you for your question and series of photographs.  It is difficult to give an impression without your before surgery pictures, but I can see your concern.  You do appear to have some excess adipose tissue and skin but  due to intraoperative concerns, the amount removed may have been what was safe to do without resulting in a possible wound healing issue.  At this point, a revision may be possible with either additional skin removal or liposuction to help remove some of the adipose along your stomach and flanks.  Each office will address any liposuction differently, with some including it in the price of a tummy tuck, while others will separate out the cost, especially if it involves multiple body areas.  

Sometimes 2 staged surgeries are indicated as here!. Second operation is liposuction..............................

Flanks post lipo/tummy

I agree that there is excess and when I do a tummy tuck with lipo I will try to get some of this.Also When I do the flanks posteriorly there is an extra charge so it may just be a mis understanding between you and your surgeon.I would just discuss this with him.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and photos and sorry for your disappointment with your results.  That said preop photos and an examination are really needed to give an accurate evaluation of your result, but I do see your reason for concern.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Tummy tuck didn 't do enough

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.
  • Without before photos, it is hard to tell how much was done.
  • We all have excess skin sitting down - we need that skin to stand straight.
  • But if your surgery was more than 6 months ago, you skin looks a little loose.
  • As for the flanks, to remove the flank tissue as shown in the standing photo would require a back lift -
  • When done with a tummy tuck, it is often called a body lift.
  • I suggest you return to your surgeon and discuss what needs to be done to get the result you want -
  • If it is a back lift, then it would not be included in a tummy tuck fee.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Extended tummy tuck

An extended tummy tuck should have excision extended laterally to remove  flank fullness but only to the point where your back would touch the table when you are lying down on your back. If you need to be placed on your tummy to get to the back, then this is considered a lower body lift/lateral thigh tuck/belt lipectomy. Unfortunately, this should have been discussed with you prior to surgery. Please contact our office if I can be of further assistance.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Extended tummy tuck result

Thanks for your question and photos.

Overall, you have a good result from extended tummy tuck.  You seem to have some excess skin and subcutaneous tissue (fat).  However, I don't know your starting point, and I don't know whether you have lost more weight after the surgery as well.

Each plastic surgeon has different surgical techniques.  Although I include liposuction of the waists/flanks during the tummy tuck, some may not include the liposuction.

It would be best to talk with your plastic surgeon and share your concern.

Best regards.