Breast implants seem to be looking smaller!

I am 8 weeks post op and received 300cc implants under the Muscle. Starting out I was a 34A and I had originally asked for 325cc judging by the testers I was given. My surgeon told me that they would be too big and wouldn't fit because I am so small (5ft and 118lbs) so we had to go with the 300cc at the very most. Now that they are settling, I can't help but be a little disappointed. What should I do?

Implant size

Sometimes surgeons are limited by the patient's anatomy in terms of choosing an implant. Many times after the tissues stretch a bit, a larger implant can be placed.  This is best delayed for at least 4-6 months after initial surgery.

Breast implants seems too small

Hello dear, thanks for your post, the result you see when trying sizers on is always deceiving as you will look bigger than you would after surgery, when using the same size implant. if you liked what you saw when trying the 325 sizers, I would have recommended a larger size to achieve that result, like 375 for example. that said, it is still too soon to realize how you will look like after the swelling goes away and the implants settle down and the skin relaxes over the implants. you may actually end up liking the 325s after all. if you dont after a few months, i recommend you follow up with your surgeon for best advise. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Implants look too small.

If the appearance is not as desired at the six month mark, you can remove and replace your implants with larger implants that will fit your chest and breast dimensions.  You may need a high profile or ultra high profile implant to gain significant size without the implant being too wide and touching in the middle (synmastia) or sticking out to far out to the side (into the arm pit area).

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Post aug and too small

It sounds like the size was ok and how big sometimes is determined by the size of the pocket.You can always get a bigger implant down the road or perhaps get some liposuction say to your abdomen and have your surgeon transplant the fat to you breasts.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

It takes 3 to 6 months for the breast to settle.   If you wish to go larger, this can be done months later when your tissue has had time to expand.  In many cases patients that go larger do this in stages.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breast Augmentation

You are early in your recovery. It can take between 3 and 6 months for the breasts to heal and settle into position . Give it some time. If you are still unhappy at 6 months contact your surgeon to discuss your options. Best of luck.

Breast Implants/ Breast Augmentation/ Anatomic Cohesive Gel Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

You are still early in your healing phase and need to give yourself more time for your tissues to settle and completely heal. You also may have adjusted to your new look and find that your size is not that big. Go look at your before pictures so you can really appreciate your new look.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

At 2 months post-op it is very early

At this stage, it is hard to draw definite conclusions about the final size of the breasts.  Unfortunately, the operation has been done, the "ship has left the pier," so to speak, and we now have to allow the tissues a chance to heal fully.  This may take another 2 to 3 months.  I typically don't revise any breast augmentation procedures before 4 months.  Thankfully, I don't have to do that very much when we have relied on a good sizing exercise before surgery, because typically we would have selected the size of implants that the patients themselves liked before surgery.  This turns out to be pretty reliable in my experience, and I'm hoping that it will be in yours too.  Twenty-five cc's is not that big of a difference in volume, so hopefully when all is said and done, the 300 cc implants will look just as good to you as the 325 cc implants you tried on.  In the event that this is not the case, I would suggest exchanging your implants for a size that is significantly larger than the current 300 cc implants - perhaps 375 cc or even 400 cc - as any less than that probably wouldn't give you enough of a difference to make you feel that it was worth it.  I suggest that you remain patient for now, and stay in close contact with your surgeon.  Discuss your concerns openly with him or her, and when the time comes, you can both assess your final results together.  Good luck.

Too Small

It's too early to judge their appearance. When breast implants are first put into your body, they typically sit higher up in the chest. This is because it’s the path of least resistance – your body requires some time to adjust to their presence, regardless of whether they’ve been placed in a sub-mammary (between breast tissue and chest muscle) or sub-muscular (under both the breast and chest muscle). Immediately following surgery, you’ll find that your newly enhanced breasts appear very full and swollen, especially in the upper portion above the nipples. Your skin will most likely look very tight and your nipples may point slightly downward as well. This may make the shape and overall appearance of your breasts appear unnatural. Don’t worry, because they will change for the better, something casually known as “dropping and fluffing”.

Should you still be concerned after 3-4 months, I'd recommend booking a follow-up appointment with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options.

All the best.