Is Hair Oil Good for Transplanted Hair Grafts Post 10 Day Hair Transplant Op?

on the 9th day post HT I started applying herbal oil to soften the scabs by gently massaging. When I asked my doctor he mentioned not to use oil for another weekbut he never gave a reason why. Please

Ask Your Doctor First

Did something happen between you and your doctor/surgeon?  Granted, I am a big believer of second opinions, however, once a relationship is established I usually stick with them and address my questions in the direction of them or their office representative.  So this is what you should do.  He is the one who did your transplant, and is seeing the result.  Since he said not to use the oils, do not use the oils.  I defer to his opinion because he knows the condition of your scalp better than anybody answering you on this forum.   I wish you well.

Dr John E Frank, MD

New York Hair Restoration Surgeon

Oil on scabs after a transplant can be ok

However, every clinic and doctor is different so you may want to talk to them further about details.  We often say its ok after 5-10 days in our Houston clinic. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Follow your doctor's advice

Once the entire procedure has healed and all crusts are off of your scalp, you can usually do whatever is comfortable for you,

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair oil and hair grafts: If your doctor said NO, don't do it.

If your doctor said not to use it then you should not use it. If you are not sure of the reason, then ask.  Your doctor must have had a reason to say NO.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Oils post transplant

You are correct that oils can be used to soften scabs post transplant. The main issue is the ingredients in the oil. For the first two weeks it is important not to put anything on the new hairs that could potentially cause harm. 

Your surgeon may be exercising caution be recommending avoidance of this herbal oil. Baby oil is fine to use as the ingredients are standard and all known. Given that there are dozens and dozens of different herbals oils available and some of the ingredients may not have been studied with regard to their effects on hair, you would not want to cause harm to your grafts.  

If you want to use an oil, ask your surgeon about baby oil.