Is Hair Loss a Common Side Effect After Neograft?

I recently had the Neograft procedure done, and about a week later began noticing a decent amount of hair loss. I'm of course very concerned because I did this procedure to have more hair, not less! Is this a common side effect? Is there anything I can do to help/stop it?

Hair loss is not uncommon after any hair transplant, not only using the neograft machine.

The NeoGraft machine performs a type of hair restoration called Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE).  Like any hair restoration procedure, telogen effluvium, or "shock loss" is not uncommon.  It tends to happen more in men in their 20's and in female patients. It can sometimes be related to the surgical technique used to create the sites in the recipient area, and can also be related to the amount of steroids the treating physician used in the fluids injected into the scalp during the procedure.  It is typically limited to 3-5 months, but occasionally lasts longer, and should be something your physician went over with you in detail prior to your procedure.

The Neograft machine is a machine that performs a type of hair restoration called Follicular Unit Extraction, the same way Oral B makes a machine to perform a procedure called Brushing Your Teeth.  An FUE procedure performed with the Neograft device is not a "Neograft" procedure any more than brushing your teeth with a sonic toothbrush is an "Oral B" procedure.

In terms of what you can do to about it at this point, I believe Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) would be your best option at this point.  The shock loss is due to the surgical "insult" your skin suffered as a result of the procedure.  The damage is done, as they say, so stimulating your hair to grow fuller and thicker with the LLLT may limit the extent of shock loss, and is likely your best bet at this point to grow your hair back as quickly as possible.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss after Neograft

Its important to know if the hairloss is in the transplanted zone or in the donor zone (back of scalp).  Hair loss in the transplanted zone is possible after an FUE procedure and this is commonly called shock loss.  There are ways shock loss can be minimized for example making small recipient sites that are not too deep, combination of medications used in the tumescent fluid, etc.  However hair loss in the back of the scalp (donor zone) after an FUE procedure should not happen and this is usually due to inexperience of the team doing the procedure by using large punches, over extracting hair follicles, punching too deep, etc.  This creates too much vascular trauma in the scalp as well as inflammation and can result in loss of hair.  I see this commonly in my practice where patients come to me after having a procedure in other clinics that don't specialize in hair surgery. Most times it is not reversible and the patients donor supply becomes severley limited.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Possible after any hair transplant but very uncommon

"shock hair loss" is reported to occur after any type of hair transplant. It has nothing to do with Neograft FUE procedure which allows for extraction of follicular units without creating an ugly linear scar. I have never seen any hair loss at the donor site after Neograft, and having been doing this type of procedure for almost 2 years now I also never seen any donor scars. As for the shock hair loss at the recepient site it may occur after any type of procedure because it is a side effect of grat PLACEMENT. It must be very rare - I have never seen it....but as mentioned above it is a reported risk. The good news is that it is usually a transient loss

Temporary Hair Loss after Hair Transplantation

It is common to have temporary loss of transplanted hairs shortly after hair transplantation by any technique, but this is typically followed by steady regrowth of the hair over the following months.   I tell patients that they should expect this to some degree.  Usually the hair has regrown well within 6-8 months and should be to nearly normal growth by a year after the procedure.  Light therapy may be offered by your surgeon that can help to encourage hair regrowth as well.  

Hair loss after hair transplant

The risk of hair shock loss is approximately 5%.  This does depend on how the procedure was performed, how much existing hair you have, and your age.

Typically, the hair should fill in by 4-6 months.

Post NeoGraft hair loss

Thank you for your question. It's is very possible to have shedding of the non planted hair and we refer to that as shock loss . It's not very common in our practice , and if we have a patient that experiences it, we have many ways to help speed up hair growth. We use PRP injections, laser caps,  propecia, biotin, and Neograft's all natural hair care line. All of these will help aid in the recovery of the hair loss.
Best wishes in your recovery.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss is natural and needed phenomenon for the success of the hair transplantation.

Yes. The hair loss is not a side effect, but instead is a natural and needed phenomenon for the success of the hair transplantation. Once the hair follicle has been implanted to the desired area, the grafted hair will remain for a few weeks and then shed. Not all the grafted hair will shed but many will. The new hair growth will begin in approximately 4-6 months and continue to grow normally thereafter. Full results may take up to a year. As the new hair grows in, the results will look natural, healthy, and strong.

Julio F. Gallo, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

NeoGraft Process

Thank you for your question, cmaurer. The hair loss - surprising as it sounds - is part of the regrowth process. Once the normal hair follicle has been implanted into the balding area, the grafted hair will stay in place for about two to three weeks before shedding. After shedding, the new growth will begin and your hair will continue to grow normally resulting in healthy and natural hair.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss after a hair transplant is to be expected

It is common for patients who have had a hair transplant procedure to experience some hair loss or hair shedding in the months following their surgical procedure.  Somewhere between 1/3 to 2/3 of the follicles transplanted will undergo a 'shedding' phase, where they will actually shed the hairs that were contained within the transplanted follicle.  While understandably alarming for patients who are concerned with hair loss, this is a common phenomenon and should be expected.  

With that said, I would always recommend that patients follow up with their operating surgeon to discuss their concerns and their surgeons specific post-operative protocols.  I like to use the NeoLTS system, a low level laser therapy, after a NeoGraft Hair Transplant to help decrease any inflammation and promote positive healing and good graft take.  Speak with your surgeon, discuss your concerns and know that it often takes quite a while to see final growth.  All the best.

Hair Loss after Hair Transplant (NeoGraft), Is it NORMAL?

What you are describing is a potential event that could happen after any type of hair transplantation procedure, and not exclusively related to the technique you had done NeoGraft (FUE). The medical term is called "telogen effluvium". What happens is that the natural hair surrounding the newly grafted follicles is in a "shocked state" after the surgical trauma/stress from procedure and the relative decrease in blood supply now that new follicles are in the vicinity. For this reason, the recipient follicles enter in a dormant stage and the hairs then start to fall off. It may take a few months until the follicle gets activated again and starts growing a new hair again. If this happens early after the transplant, I recommend interventions that will stimulate the follicles minimizing topical applications so that the newly transplanted follicles do not get affected. Low light level therapy and PRP injections are great during this stage. Hope this was helpful. Good luck through out your recovery!