What is the best procedure for moving subfascial implants to submuscular, with a lift, with capsular contracture and rippling?

I need to redo my contracted subfascial silicone round 300 cc implants. I was saggy and deflated before, and looked great for a few years. Now have drooping, rippling, capsular contracture. One doctor said first explant , wait a few months, then go under the muscle and do a lift. He'd do subglandular as one step. The other doctor said go under the muscle with a wider implant, to fill in the spaces, and lift later if needed. which is better? I am very thin and athletic, in my 50's.Thanks!

Doctor Answers 4

What is the best procedure for moving subfascial implants to submuscular, with a lift, with capsular contracture and rippling?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question. Often, it is possible to perform the operation you are considering in a single stage (possible to convert sub glandular breast implants in to the sub muscular (dual plane) position).  Successful results do depend, to some degree, on the surgeon's experience. Therefore, best to make sure that your plastic surgeon can demonstrate significant experience helping patients with this type of revisionary breast surgery. 

Sometimes, patients undergoing conversion of breast implant positioning from the sub glandular to the sub muscular space benefit from additional maneuvers such as breast lifting (depending on the position of the breast skin envelope in relation to the position of the sub muscular breast implants) and/or the use of acellular dermal matrix for lower pole support and/or treatment of breast implant rippling. Closing off the existing breast implant pocket is a technique utilized to help prevent the breast implant from moving back into its previous space.

I hope this, and the attached link demonstrating many examples of revisionary breast surgery cases, helps. Best wishes.

Hard, rippled subfascial implants.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There probably is no single correct answer however I prefer having implants submuscular so with your contracture and thinned skin I would obliterate the subfascial plane with sutures and a drain and simultaneously place new implants subpectorally.  You will probably need a somewhat larger implant and may need a subsequent uplift (if necessary).  Please understand that this is only based on your description and not on a face to face examination.Good luck.... Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

Revision with lift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
In my  practice I routinely do this procedure as one step. Removal of the sub fascial or sub- glandular implant, obliteration of that space with sutures, placement of a new sub muscular implant, sometimes adding a piece of Strattice that will disallow the newly undermined muscle from window shading upward pushing downward on the implant giving a chance to go back to the old space. After that procedure is done, at the same time, a breast lift can usually be done. I would try and find a plastic surgeon with a great deal of experience in revision breast surgery. Good luck.

Revision breast surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Without pictures only general recommendations can be made. In my revision breast practice I commonly perform removal and replacement at the same time as changing to a partially sub-muscular position (site change) followed by a breast lift (mastopexy). I recommend you seek consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon with revision breast surgery experience. A staged procedure is also a choice if that is what your plastic surgeon feels most comfortable with.
I hop,ethics helps.
Dr. Edwards

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.