My belly button is still quite red. Can I use silicone to help with scaring and redness on the belly button?

Red belly button

Redness is common after surgery and can last for a few months, as your scars mature. Any topical scar treatments may help, but make sure you ask your surgeon before you start them and only do so once the incisions have totally closed. 

BB Redness

It is difficult to guide you without more information or photos. In general, however, silicone sheets can be helpful for scars.

Silicone

You don't mention how long ago your surgery was nor whether the redness is the scar or the skin around it. If it is the scar and it is completely healed, you can use topical silicone which may help in reducing the redness,

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

RED BB?

Hi Stacey. The redness often times is a normal reaction. However, some patients may take a long time for it to go away. The chemical agent in your body most commonly associated with the redness is Histamine. This is produced in all scars as part of the inflammatory phase of normal healing. Hydrocortisone 1% seems to work for many of my patients to calm the redness down after surgery. Ask your PS first before adding any new scar therapy and consider Scarguard MD because it has silicone and hydrocortisone in one solution. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD