Why does silicone help with tummy tuck scarring?

Why does silicone help with tummy tuck scaring. What r the components. My dr did not want me to use it. I don't know why. My scare is still quite red and so is my belly button which seems to b quite high. Had this done around 2 months ago.

Silicone Scar Treatments

One of the most common concern for patients who are considering a tummy tuck procedure is scarring. Silicone is used in many scar therapies as it has shown to help minimize the appearance of scars and provide a barrier to protect your incision from external environmental factors that can contribute to bad scarring. Silicone is thought to provide hydration and help with collagen regulation, helping skin repair itself more quickly so that you can achieve the best aesthetic result. Before implementing silicone scar gel therapies, however, you may want to consider using Embrace Active Scar Defense first. This active scar device helps minimize scars by relieving tension, the second most important factor in scar development. Relieving the tension on your tummy tuck incision will help you heal nicely and have a less visible scar. This scar therapy is typically started 1-2 weeks after surgery and applied for up to 8-10 weeks. It can be started later as well, and there should still be improvement. After completion of treatment duration with Embrace, patients can transition to a silicone scar gel treatment for the next 6 months. There are many different brands of silicone scar gel treatments. We recommend bioCorneum. This product is a blend of three types of silicone, and it also has SPF 30 to help with any potential sun-induced redness or discoloration. Your board-certified plastic surgeon should help you find a scar therapy product to help minimize the appearance of your scars related to your tummy tuck surgery. You will have the best outcome if you begin using a product early in the healing process. Good luck in your recovery and research on scar treatments!

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Silicone for scarring?

No one really has a clear understanding of how silicone works.  I have found that silicone can be great in some patients and not work at all in other patients.  Hard to predict.  I do recommend that you should try to do something to help your scar now while you are still healing.  Whether its a topical scar ointment or silicone.  Hope this helps. Good luck with your healing.Dr Vasisht

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Silicone works

The exact mechanism is unknown but is does work. Of course it will not change the position of your belly button if it is too high. I rec Silagen works well and can buy with sun screen.

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Silicone scar therapy

Silicone scar products, whether liquid or applied scar pads, are potentially effective improving the appearance of scars.  They can help flatten or fade scars.  The mechanism is not completely understood and there are many theories.  It may be the weight of the scar pad, or the electrical properties of the silicone.  The pad might increase the hydration of the area, and collagen formation.  Covering the scar might limit bacteria on the skin that could lead to  excess collagen formation.  Perhaps the silicone helps influence growth factors.  They are very unlikely to hurt the scar or negatively influence wound healing.

David A. Lickstein, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon