Why does silicone help with scaring? What are the best ones to get? How does it work?

Please tell me why silicone helps with scaring. What r the best ones to get. How does it work.

Silicone

Some believe the sheets provide moisture, which helps with wound healing.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants

Hi Stacey,The Aesthetic Surgery Journal published an article several years ago on the effectiveness of silicone sheeting versus creams versus herbal treatments for scars. The solid, silicone gel sheeting came out on top, by far. We use the sheeting from local drugstores, but you can go on line and search for silicone gel sheeting for scars. Keep reusing it, forever, don’t throw it away each day.  Despite claims that additives to the sheeting improve results, there is no good, controlled scientific evidence to support this claim.  Keep in mind you could possibly have a bad scar, so when you pick the location of you incision, you might want to keep this in mind.  See the video below. It is the pressure of the sheet that flattens and fades the scar. So I would purchase the least expensive product.  Sometimes we use microneedling, so I put a video below for you to review.  All the best, “Dr. Joe”

Silicone and scars

There are some theories regarding silicone use in scar healing, and even with using certain tapes.  No one has proven why and not all patients need to use it or benefit from it.