I Had Gynomastia Removed Via Liposuction 8 Weeks Ago but Im Still Not Healed. Why is That?

I had gyno removed from my chest 8 weeks ago and I'm still not healed. Why am I still swollen at the lower part of my chest

Healing 8 Weeks After Gynomastia Surgery with Liposuction

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Liposuction and gynecomastia surgery

In about 95% of my gynecomastia surgeries I do excise the gland and our reccurence rate after excision is zero so far.If swelling is not down in a few months talk to your surgeon about performing excision of the gland.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Swelling after Gynecomastia Surgery?

Without direct examination it is not possible to give you good advice; follow-up with your plastic surgeon for this purpose. Keep in mind, that complete resolution of swelling and “redraping” of the skin does take several months to occur.

Healing after gyncomastia surgery

Your question does not explain what you feel is delaying your healing.  I can say that liposuction of any area, including a male breas,t takes a few months to resolve so you can judge the final result.  If there is some problem with the breast skin or the incisions, I cannot comment without examining you.  You should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Bruce E. Genter, MD, FACS
Abington Plastic Surgeon