Normal After Gynocomastia To Have Hardness Under Nipple?

Hello, i had gyno surgery. i'm six weeks post op and on my right nipple there is a hardness directly under it and around it where hte tissue is extremely firm is this normal or should i consult my surgeon?

Hardness under nipple after gynecomastia surgery

Your instinct is correct. It is always advisable to see your plastic surgeon if you have an postop concerns. You may be feeling residual swelling, scar tissue formation or possibly a seroma collection in this area but only an exam will elucidate whether this is part of the normal healing process or something which requires intervention.

Contour Abnormalities after Gynecomastia Surgery

It's still somewhat early in your healing stage. Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Early Healing After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi zess21,

Thanks for the post. If the hardness has been there since your surgery then it is likely excess gland tissue that wasn't resected. If it has only developed in the last several weeks then it is likely scar tissue. This may improve with massage techniques and if that does not help, then kenalog injections. I recommend you stay in contact with your plastic surgeon.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Gynecomastia surgery Results?

At this stage in your your recovery it will not be possible to determine what is firm tissue related to swelling/inflammation, scarring, or residual  breast tissue. I would suggest waiting 3 to 6 months before beginning to evaluate the end results of surgery.

I would also suggest continued patience and follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Normal Scar Tissue

This represents scar tissue in the area.  It is normal and should become softer  over time.  Some times it represents residual breast gland tissue, but i would not assume this at this time. Remember, the right and left side is always different.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Scar Tissue

Dear Patient,

The hardness you are feeling may be normal. There is a possibility that it may be scar tissue. Scar tissue is the fibrous connective tissue which forms a scar; it can be found on any tissue on the body. Scar tissue, in general, does NOT go away. Adhesions, which are a form of scar tissue, can usually be broken loose through physical therapy. That can take time. It is best you consult your physician that did your surgery. Regards.

Teanoosh Zadeh, MD, FRCSC
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after gynocomastia

Hi!

It is normal to have some hardness from swelling but I agree that it would be best to consult with your board certified lastic surgeon to make sure the healing process is going as planned.

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Hardness beneath the nipple after gynecomastia surgery

It's pretty normal to have an area beneath the nipple get hard, especially at the time you are. For the first 6 weeks, scar tissue forms which gets hard. During the next 6 weeks this generally gets softer and more flat. Continue to massage. Also, check with your surgeon, sometimes a steroid injection can be used.

Nipple Firmness After Gynecomastia Reduction

While firmness underneath the nipple can be a normal part of the early recovery phase, it is important that you go back and be evaluated by your surgeon. This would be particularly important if it is just hard on one side and that breast shows more swelling and fullness compared to the other side.

Gynecomastia surgery

If you have concerns about unusual firmness under the nipple after surgery, then it is probalby a good idea to see your surgeon for evaluation.