Why is my right side bigger than my left after gynocamastia surgery 4 weeks ago?

i had surgery about 5 weeks ago and after 2 weeks . The doctor had me remove my garmet. After 4 days i had a lot of pain and both sides swelled up. The then told me to put it back on for a nother 2 weeks. left side is flat and the right side looks fat. IM scared that this is not sweling . I dont have a lot of money do you think in a couple months this could go away or if i need a nother corrective surgery on the right side what would something like that cost for just the one side.

Assymetry & Swelling Following Your Gynecomastia Procedure

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery.
Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

5 months post op...

...is too early to draw conclusions about how you will heal or look once edema subsides. Fluid can accumulate between skin and muscle and thus garmets can help keep this fluid from filling up in this "dead space" and causing a seroma (fluid accumulation). Swelling can last several months.

Tim Neavin, MD

Early Gynecomastia Results

You can not really judge the results of gynecomastia surgery for 3 to 4 months after surgery. At that point any differences between the two sides will be evident and will not be the result of swelling. It is not rare for any gynecomastia reduction to eventually show some residual fullness in one side or both that may require a secondary touch-up to achieve optimal flatness.

Gynecomastia and recovery

I think that it is very important to be followed closely by your surgeon and follow his directions. Swelling will take several months to subside before seeing the final result.