Should I Go to a Gyno or to my Plastic Surgeon Who Performed my Tummy Tuck 2 Years Ago?

I had 2 c-sections and two very aggressive tummy tuck with lipo which the doctor removed 25 pounds of fat and skin around my waist 2 years ago, I still get swollen and get cramps and daily pelvic pain that sometimes is unbearable in my lower tummy. It gets worst if i sit for long periods. I Went to the doctor and he did ultrasound found out I have fibroids but they r to small to cause severe pain and swelling, he said it could be muscle adhesions, prescribed oxycodone and refered me to the gyno.

Doctor Answers 7

Deep pelvic pain, See gyn

You should have a formal pelvic exam done by your gyn. A tummy tuck is all done above the muscle so no pelvic pain should occur from this procedure. If you dont get an answer then see your plastic surgeon.

Tampa Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

Pelvic Pain Should Be Evaluated By A Gynecologist

Thank you for this challenging question.  I believe your doctor was correct in referring you to a gynecologist.  Pelvic pain and cramping are within the scope of practice of a gynecologist, and very unlikely to have been caused by abdominoplasty and liposuction. 

Cramps and swelling related to Tummy Tuck?

The pelvic pain and cramps is unlikely to be related to the surgery. I would start with your OB doctor first.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

Pelvic pain after tummy tuck

Your pelvic pain is unlikely related to your tummy tuck which is a more superficial procedure but still I would recommend you follow up with your primary care physician for an appropriate referral to the right specialist.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Tummy tuck or not, see your primary doctor for pelvic pain

It is reasonable to think about your tummy tuck when after you have pains, however pelvic pains can have very many causes, and your primary care physician is the best place to begin a work up to sort things out.

Peter E. Johnson, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Appopriate Referral

Your primary care physician is in the best position to refer you to the appropriate person, and the referral to your gynecologist makes sense. You can alway consult with your plastic surgeon after other conditions have been ruled out.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS
West Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

Pelvic Pain and Appropriate Referral?

Thank you for the question.

I think your primary care physician is in the best position to advise you. Based on your description of daily pelvic pain, I think his referral to a gynecologist is appropriate. Evaluation by your gynecologist and/or any imaging that he/she performs will be helpful in ruling out the causes of pelvic pain. Once these causes of your symptoms have been evaluated/ruled out, follow up with your plastic surgeon if necessary.

Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,502 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.