Gyno Crater Defect Better over Time?

I had gyno surgey 5 weeks ago. It appears I have a crater deformity on both sides. My doctor doesn't think I do and says it's normal. He didn't take any after pics of my surgery so I don't have any to post yet, but assuming I do have a crater, is that something that can fill in over time? I realize 4 weeks is still early, but my chest is slightly indented when standing still and really indented when flexed. It looks worse than pics I've googled of people with confirmed crater defects.

Correcting Craters From Gynecomastia Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your #incisions will go through a maturation #process after gynecomastia surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible the indentations can be addressed with cosmetic filler(s) if eligible. 

Gynecomastia correction surgery

It certainly takes time for post-operative results to be fully seen.  Often there is swelling that  can take a few months to fully improve.  Swelling can accentuate the appearance of a crater.  Gynecomastia surgery is more about shaping the male chest then removing all possible tissue.  It is possible to create a crater if too much is taken out and if that is the case revision surgery may be necessary.  I have found it is always easier to take out a little more later than to try and add it back.  Keep following your surgeons recommendations and give it time to improve.  Generally at least 3-4 months are needed until the final results can be appreciated.  Best of luck with your recovery.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Still early

It is still early to know for certain what your final result will be. Even if you ultimately need it to be corrected, it is too early to do anything now. Follow up closely with your surgeon. Don't be surprised if you keep hearing "wait...wait...wait". Stay connected and he/she will want you to be happy in the end and do whatever they can to get you there.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon