I Have Had Gynecomastia Surgery 2 Months Ago, I Have Several Questions?

Im 19 yo.I have had liposuction and gland removal through a periareoler incision(skin was saggy and had been removed) I have regained sensation on the left side. Both areolas are 2" in diameter relaxed, the left contracts normally while the right does not have any nipple protrusion it just shrinks in size, is this normal?Would I regain sensation on the right side?Can I have a areola reduction surgery?When should I have it?How much can it be reduced?

What to Expect Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Early Gynecomastia Surgery Healing

Hi Khaled,

Thank you for the post. At 2 months you are still in the healing phase. Sensation can take 1 to 2 years to return, but in most cases returns within months of the surgery. However, there is a chance that sensation will not return and this is one of the risks of the surgery that should be discussed prior to surgery. As for the areola reduction, I recommend waiting at least 6 months to allow the surgical site to settle. The degree to which it can be reduced is based on the current size, the skin tone around it, and the general proportion to the rest of your chest.

SIncerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Nipple sensation after gynecomastia correction

Nipple sensation may take several months to a year to return after gynecomastia excision surgery. Areolar reduction may be performed at 4 to 6 months after your surgery.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Gynecomastia surgery

Sensation usually returns within 6-8 weeks, but some take longer and some may  never regain it. As for the areola size, they can be reduced, but you should wait 4-6 months at least to see how things settle down.

GYnecomastia results

Sensation can take up to a year to return,  if at all.  You may have a permanently numb nipple but you won't know for for a while.

Areolar diameter in a male is about 28 mm.  If your areola are too wide it is a simple matter to reduce the diameter with a little circum-areolar skin excision.  I would recommend waiting at least three months after your last surgery, or until the scars are fully mature (no change over a six week period) to allow for blood supply to reconnect.

Once you have reached a plateau in terms of scar maturation all otions for revision are acceptable.

Gynecomastia surgery recovery

The sensation to the nipples can take a long time (over a year) to return to one or both of the nipples after this surgery especially if there was an incision along the areola as in your case.  There is a slight chance that the sensation may never fully return to that nipple which is a know complication of the surgery.  As for reducing the size of the areola, that can be done anytime after 3-6 months after the initiial surgery.  The only drawback is that you will have scar around the entire areola and a chance for further reduction of the sensation to the nipple.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Post Gynecomastia Surgery questions.

Through what incision the skin was removed,and is the scar all around the areola or just in the lower part of the areola? Your pictures will be extremely important to determine your needs.As far as regaining sensation it may happen within the next 1-2 years. Although  areola reduction is an option, I personally think that other options as thinning of the areola may be better (It all depend on the kind of surgery and excisions that were done previously).It is best to consult a experienced board certified plastic/gynecomastia surgeon.   

Mordcai Blau, MD

Yes,you can have reduction surgery

The sensation may or may not return, it is difficult to say and only time will tell.  This is one of the risk of the surgery.  I often perform areolar reductions about 6 months after the first surgery.  The areola can be reduced significantly.

Miguel Delgado, MD