Risk of Sunken Chest Following Gynecomastia? (photo)

Hello doctors. My name is Jean, 19 year old gynecomastia surgery patient. I had the surgery 3/6/2012 so is extremely recent and i know final results take a very long time, but i just cant get over the fear of having one sunken chest. Here is a picture and i would love your feedback. Thank you all

Gynecomastia Surgery Results?

Thank you for the question and picture.

Unfortunately,  it is not possible to give you good advice based on the picture. I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon for direct examination and/or recommendations/reassurance.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you refrain from unnecessary “worry” (since this does not help) and allow time for healing to occur prior to evaluating the end results of surgery

Risk of Sunken Chest Following Gynecomastia

As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor may have discussed with you during your consultation. Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia defects

It is hard to determine anything from your picture.  Even if this was an outstanding picture the contours after liposuction change over several months.  What you see now may be much improved in 2-3 months.  You must trust your surgeon and allow time to heal all wounds.

Dr. ES

Wait until you can see the full results, then decide what you want to do next.

Hi Jean. 

Dr. Blinski is right. We need to see more detailed pictures to asses your situation and you would have to wait until at least 3 months after the surgery to see the full results.

I would suggest you wait a while and then see if you are unhappy with the procedure, if so we will still be here.

Sofia K. Kirk, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Risk of Sunken Chest Following Gynecomastia?

You need to post better photos in order for any of us to reply. Especially in such an early post operative period of time.