Gynecomastia Results 1 Month Post Complications?

I had gynecomastia surgery one month earlier.1 week after surgery when I used to lift my hands up above my head I can see dents. The one on the left side became unnoticeable and filled up but still in my right chest I can see the dent though better now. My doctor told me that it would eventually fill up again. I want to know whether this can happen because I don't want to have to fill the cavity again with another surgery. P.S There is still more swelling on the right side than on the left.

Having swelling 1 month post-surgery is very typical. You will be able to see your final results at 6-9 months. It’s important that you know that healing process is slow and keeping your appointment with your surgeon and getting post up care if good.

Assymetry and Swelling a Month After Gynecomastia Surgery

It's still quite early into your healing. Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.Your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor. A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary. Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery.  Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Too early to tell

I suggest you wait a few months before you judge your results. It can take that long for swelling to subside.

Contour issues 1 month after gynecomastia surgery

Contour issues in the early post-operative period often resolve in the ensuing months after surgery, and this occurs without additional surgical intervention.  Massage may be helpful to break up any unusual scar tissue, and you should discuss this with your surgeon.  I discourage any sort of revisions before 9 months to a year, as things can continue to improve over the course of time following the surgery, often to the point where no revision is required.

Good luck.

Richard Silverman, MD
Newton Plastic Surgeon