I'm 34 yrs old male and want a Breast Reduction/ sculpting. What treatment would you recommend? (photos)

34 year old healthy male wanting breast reduction/sculpting. done tests with endocrinologist who confirms no health issues but just glandular/fat in breast. i workout regularly and can aim for intensity workouts if that helps but experts say this doesn't go away if it hasn't already! is surgery the only option left? any suggestions for surgeon in India? gynecomastia redressal through surgery? costs and risks involved

I'm 34 yrs old male and want a Breast Reduction/ sculpting. What treatment would you recommend?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Reduction & Sculpting Enlarged Male Breasts (Gynecomastia)

Male breast enlargement is relatively common, in face correction surgery is one of the most common cosmetic surgery procedures for guys.  Like you mentioned the hormones are typically normal and the excess consists of both fat and fibrous tissue.  If there is little fibrous tissue, liposuction can be effective, using only tiny scars.  If fibrous tissue is pronounced, open removal is needed.  Most of the time this can be done through a 4-6cm (1.5-2.5inch) incision at the lower areola.  This scar hides very well. 

RealSelf has some photos of longer scars across the chest.  Those are unusual and typically only needed when hanging loose skin is already present before surgery.  Chests like the one you show in the photos wouldn't need the long scars, but an in-person exam would be needed to make personal recommendations.  Consult an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

What Treatment is Recommended

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. 

Glandular excision plus chest wall lipo

Your photos illustrate classical gynecomastia.  The proper plan would include glandular excision with an incision camouflaged around the areola with chest wall liposuction to blend.  Breast tissue cannot be removed with lipo alone.  And it won't go away with weight loss.  Cost is $5,000 plus for an experienced surgeon who includes excision and not just lipo.

Tim Neavin, MD

Male breast reduction

There are a number of surgical approaches to treat your breasts.  In most cases, I prefer liposuction and then removal of excess breast tissue through a small incision at the side of each breast.  This technique avoids any scars on the front of the chest and ensures that all of the problematic breast tissue is removed.  In some cases, liposuction alone will be helpful.  In most of my cases, removal of breast skin is not needed.

Timothy Connall, MD