I had gynecomastia glandular excision surgery 2 weeks ago, do I have a hematoma on my left side? (Photo)

I had gynecomastia surgery 2 weeks ago, no lipo was needed so I just had glandular excision. My left side is healing perfectly and is completely flat, but my right side seems to have developed a hematoma under the nipple - it feels like a hard lump about the size of a slightly flattened golf ball, but does not hurt. Unfortunately, the surgeon I went with is overseas so I can't just pop back in for another appointment!

Healing & Assymetry After Gynecomastia Surgery

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery. Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Hematoma

From the photograph, it appears you have a hematoma or fluid collection. You need to see your plastic surgeon right away.

Hematoma?

From your photo is looks like you might have a small hematoma. I would advise you to see a plastic surgeon who can help you solve this problem.

I had gynecomastia glandular excision surgery 2 weeks ago, do I have a hematoma on my left side?

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing. Based on the photograph and description, it sounds like you have a fluid accumulation present. Whether this is a seroma or hematoma is hard to tell based on the photograph; you will benefit from in person examination. Best to seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area. Best wishes.

Post op- Gynecomastia complication.

Based upon the posted photo you appear to have a small hematoma that needs medical attention. Return to your surgeon for care..//  

Hematoma post gynecomastis

After looking at your photos, I think this is very suspicious for a small hematoma.  Unfortunately, pictures can only show so much.  If you were my patient, I would want to see you within the next few days to examine this in person. If it is a hematoma it can usually be managed pretty easily, often with evacuation in the office under local. The problem with not addressing this while the hematoma is still soft is that over time the blood will become fibrotic and cause more scar. That is a much harder problem to address later.  Obviously you are in great shape and your  gynecomastia surgery required a great deal of finesse.  That same finesse is required in addressing this problem.  It is well worth the cost of an office visit with a board certified plastic surgeon near you to correct this if it is a hematoma or to reassure you if it is not. 

I so wish you well, and you are on the way to a great result just see a board certified plastic surgeon soon!

Melinda Haws, MD

Gynecomastia surgery with right sided swelling

If the appearance if the right chest is distinctively different from how it was in the earlier post op phase, then you may well have a hematoma or a seroma (fluid collection). You should contact your surgeon regardless of where he is located and ask him how this can be resolved. Plastic surgeons certified by the ABPS and members of the ASPS here in the U.S. frequently perform surgery on patients from elsewhere. Most all of us would not allow our patients to travel back home until healing is near complete. If it turns out you must see a local plastic surgeon expect to pay a significant consultation fee.