I had gynecomastia glandular excision surgery 23 days ago. Do I have a hematoma on my right side?

1 week post op my right side started getting alot more swollen than the left (1st 2 pics). My PS said it's swelling and not hematoma or seroma, "if you had hematoma it would be 10 times bigger" his words. Now Im at 23 days post op (pics) , Swelling has gone down a bit, but the areola still protrudes & it feels like there is a liquid inside it. I am overseas back to work on an offshore rig will be back in 3 more weeks. what is under my areola? will it dissolve by itself? What should I do?

Seroma, Hematoma and Swelling

A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.

If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

I am sorry to hear about your concerns; this is especially difficult given that you are overseas.   Online consultants will not be able to provide you with a diagnosis;  unfortunately I was not able to view pictures.You may wish to have a physician locally evaluate you.  On the other hand, if the swelling is resolving, you may be able to wait until you return back to your plastic surgeon for evaluation.  Best wishes.

Hematoma vs Seroma

Thank you for question and sorry for your problem.  Either way Hematoma or Seroma it should be drained and at a minimum evaluated by an MD

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD